• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Nhtsa Cybersecurity

TheAsterisk!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I remember slowly stopping and walking back to stare in astonishment at a WiFi (and remotely, via IP) activated garage door opener at the hardware store a few months back. Tried and failed to explain to a friend why that seemed to me to be a terrible idea for physical security.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to throughly enjoy the absolutely MASSIVE cluster flock* that will be the "Internet Of Things" (another buzz word that I despise)

(eats popcorn)

*flock is not the actual word in my mind.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How do you handle "Cloud"?

With great suspicion, diligence and care.

The initial adopters (including google and facebook) had the pleasure of discovering sizeable problems with "the Cloud" (buzz word, hate it.... establishing pattern)

In many cases, it wasn't needed, and was implemented either for the sake of being implemented or with insufficient knowledge and experience to deal with the consequences of the new technology. Virtualization and remote management have increase the throughput of the Admin by 100-10,000 fold (not exaggerating) by allowing us to work on thousands of systems at a time. But it also allows us to screw up thousands of systems at a time.

As systems become more complicated and automated, so do the consequences. Every piece of hardware AND software needs to be PERFECT, AND failsafe. Aviations is a good (and bad) example of this process, as is the Space program.

That's when was ask the questions: "Can we?" and "Should we?"
No one ever asks the second question.

You'll see that many (responsible) corporations will send their non-essential systems to the "Cloud" and retain critical systems on a super reliable and redundant, mirrored, and backed up system.

And then we have Delta Airlines

(sighs)

Now imagine that on a centralized control system for L.A. traffic management for automated vehicles in 2025.

Last edited:
Top Bottom