• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Cars At All, But ...

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Depends on what you intend to be using the camera for and the your budget range.
Family vacation and get together type pictures. But, if I can spend 20-30 dollars more than a basic camera, and get better quality with important features, those are the ones I want to know about. Like I said, I want a new Elio for $6800.00. Is there a camera out there that offers that kind of value?:)

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Depends on your budget and how you want to use the camera. The Sony A7 is getting a lot of play these days. I shoot Nikon, and you could consider the D610. Your best bet is to go to DPreview.com where you can see everything that's out there with meticulous reviews to boot.

I do most of my shopping at http://bhphotovideo.com . Their pricing is very competitive and their service is excellent.
Thanks EKH. I will check all this out. I guess I should have asked, if you thought to yourself after seeing pictures I took, "I see what he's trying to do, but he needs brand/model XXX at a minimum to get the effect he wants for just a few dollars more". Really just looking for a good value in a digital camera for general use, and I don't know anything about photography. Top 3 Walmart grade cameras in value is what I'm looking for, but don't really know what I'm looking at. BTW, "Frozen Farm Pond" is now my desktop background. Hope you don't mind. Love the shadows! Was that taken at sun up, or sun down?:)

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks EKH. I will check all this out. I guess I should have asked, if you thought to yourself after seeing pictures I took, "I see what he's trying to do, but he needs brand/model XXX at a minimum to get the effect he wants for just a few dollars more". Really just looking for a good value in a digital camera for general use, and I don't know anything about photography. Top 3 Walmart grade cameras in value is what I'm looking for, but don't really know what I'm looking at. BTW, "Frozen Farm Pond" is now my desktop background. Hope you don't mind. Love the shadows! Was that taken at sun up, or sun down?:)
Really, most of the point-and-shoot cameras are more than competent these days. Are you wanting to make big prints? Get lots of megapixels. Just for web use? You don't need a zillion. Look at the Sony or Nikon or Canon brands; Costco usually has pretty good stuff for reasonable. Avoid Best Buy at all costs; Best means best for them, not you!

Feel free to use Frozen Farm Pond for a desktop, but don't print it or send it off without acknowledgement of the copyright. BTW, that was shot in early morning light. Visit the Winter gallery on my site to see more splendid snow-and-ice shots.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Here's an essay on matching equipment to the task, taken from my book "Explorations in Photography," available here: https://www.createspace.com/3964412

Attachments

• Matching Equipment to the.pdf
    60.8 KB · Views: 219

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
thanks, I usually hear I'm "out of syle" :) Seriously, some photographers seem insulted if you ask them for a B&W print . We had a series done when our kids were 5 and 6, we wanted a B&W 5x7 of one pose and he acted like we were nuts ! I still have and use my film 35mm ocassionally. Ilford gets the nod when I'm in that mood :) Nothing like B&W to make the composition stand out. I love your work, have forwarded your site to a young man trying to make a living with his camera.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
thanks, I usually hear I'm "out of syle" :) Seriously, some photographers seem insulted if you ask them for a B&W print . We had a series done when our kids were 5 and 6, we wanted a B&W 5x7 of one pose and he acted like we were nuts ! I still have and use my film 35mm ocassionally. Ilford gets the nod when I'm in that mood :) Nothing like B&W to make the composition stand out. I love your work, have forwarded your site to a young man trying to make a living with his camera.
And good luck to your young friend. I barely scrape by with fine art photography; photo restoration pays most (but not all) of the bills. One more reason to want an Elio -- ASAP!

Last edited:
Top Bottom