• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Guarantees...

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's left to engineer, design, and develop? $2 Million minimum to $8 Million maximum is quite the range. I wonder what additional engineering design/development funding they actually need for tweaking, if any, that's required based on testing results.
Let us hope it's the realization of how fugly the Elgin dash is, and requires a redesign, that would require the extra cash. Oops did I just bring that up again?

oh-no.jpe

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's left to engineer, design, and develop? $2 Million minimum to $8 Million maximum is quite the range. I wonder what additional engineering design/development funding they actually need for tweaking, if any, that's required based on testing results.

The EXPECTED net USE OF PROCEEDS (minimum/maximum) makes no sense beyond prototype building and testing which is the same amount whether the offering is MIN or MAX.
It could - and this is purely my speculation - be used to design permanent "hard tooled" parts for many of the custom pieces we are seeing go on to the P5. For example, once the motor is proven to do what it needs, the intake manifold will likely go to a 1 piece cast or molded unit vs the welded assembly we see now. This will happen in hundreds of places on the E, that's just one example.

As always, I reserve the right to be wrong.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Automated orbital welding has made a huge impact on tubular assemblies, so I wouldn't be too surprised if the intake manifold still ends up welded. But you're right in that preparing parts for mass (read, cost effective) production can be a significant engineering effort.

Where I work, we'll spend a million to save several hundred dollars per part and we don't produce half as many products in a decade as EM plans to in the first year.

Even a few dollars saving on an assembly will be worth a substantial investment to achieve when the scale is this large.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It could - and this is purely my speculation - be used to design permanent "hard tooled" parts for many of the custom pieces we are seeing go on to the P5. For example, once the motor is proven to do what it needs, the intake manifold will likely go to a 1 piece cast or molded unit vs the welded assembly we see now. This will happen in hundreds of places on the E, that's just one example.

As always, I reserve the right to be wrong.
Yes, but isn't that what the additional $240 Million is needed for.........setting up for production. The P5 and E's have to be built and tested so the list of final custom parts can be verified for tooling. Somebody is making a bunch of money in the overall process of getting the P5 and the E6-25 built and tested. It would be interesting to see how much EM is being billed by Technosports Creative for the P5.........at least for me. Also, the actual cost of the E's. Money, Money, Money theme song playing softly in the background.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, but isn't that what the additional $240 Million is needed for.........setting up for production. The P5 and E's have to be built and tested so the list of final custom parts can be verified for tooling. Somebody is making a bunch of money in the overall process of getting the P5 and the E6-25 built and tested. It would be interesting to see how much EM is being billed by Technosports Creative for the P5.........at least for me. Also, the actual cost of the E's. Money, Money, Money theme song playing softly in the background.
It is my hope that the 240 million is enough to cover production setup of our ELIO itself- which should include the additional cost of setting the AIV engine assembly line! Monumental task I'd say but EM is still got the whole year of 2016 to pull this off- and about 20 days to showcase the P5 and hopefully impress the hell out of the deep pocket investors just waiting in the wing to help fund this one of a kind project.

cantwait

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is my hope that the 240 million is enough to cover production setup of our ELIO itself- which should include the additional cost of setting the AIV engine assembly line! Monumental task I'd say but EM is still got the whole year of 2016 to pull this off- and about 20 days to showcase the P5 and hopefully impress the hell out of the deep pocket investors just waiting in the wing to help fund this one of a kind project.
I can't help but feel that this will be like knocking over dominoes. The P5 completion will drive the Reg A+ funding. The Reg A+ funding will drive the E-series build and testing. The E-series results will drive reservations and the investment of the $240 million, which in turn will drive production. Each step is critical to being able to move on towards production, and to the ultimate success or failure of the company and the product.

Dreamsinger

Elio Fan
Reaction score
As a retired engineer I "get" how it takes as long as it takes but since I made my deposit delivery has slipped from 2014 to mid 2015 and now 2017. I'm a bit skeptical at this point that a 2017 delivery is realistic. The cost of fuel severely limits my traveling decisions as it is and I've only got so many driving years left. Had I known this was going to be a recurring pattern I'm not so sure I would have put a deposit down.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a retired engineer I "get" how it takes as long as it takes but since I made my deposit delivery has slipped from 2014 to mid 2015 and now 2017. I'm a bit skeptical at this point that a 2017 delivery is realistic. The cost of fuel severely limits my traveling decisions as it is and I've only got so many driving years left. Had I known this was going to be a recurring pattern I'm not so sure I would have put a deposit down.
Nor would a lot of other reservationists. It is a typical part of a startup's marketing strategy to get early adopter reservations to show venture capitalists there is demand for the concept. I actually believed Paul Elio's we have the funding back in 2014 and his 2014-15 production schedule and really knew better having put refundable deposits down on a couple of concepts that turned to vaporware.

The Elio will probably make it to production (2018 is my guess because crap will happen when the 15 month production schedule actually starts) because of the 45,000 + reservations and their continued support, although no guarantees according to EM's SEC filing document and contracts with new reservationists. I've been following Elio since '08 and getting a little weary supporting the effort, but still do with a pinch of skepticism.

Let's wait and see how the LA Auto Show P5 Reveal goes before we get overly critical. The P5 photos look promising to date and hope it doesn't turn out to be:
image.jpeg

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't help but feel that this will be like knocking over dominoes. The P5 completion will drive the Reg A+ funding. The Reg A+ funding will drive the E-series build and testing. The E-series results will drive reservations and the investment of the $240 million, which in turn will drive production. Each step is critical to being able to move on towards production, and to the ultimate success or failure of the company and the product.
This will be "one small step for EM and a giant leap for Automobile history"! (in reference to Neil A.)

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nobody really knows except EM where they're at funding wise and at this point I'm assuming that everything would have been done a lot faster HAD the funding was a none issue early on after all, they're using no new tech...but there's no point of crying over spilt milk now that our deposits have been spent- let's just hope that EM come through with flying colors come 4th quarter of 2016! Hang in there bud.

Top Bottom