• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Non Elio Days

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As we're getting our first taste of winter up here, I thought I'd start this thread. I'm gonna use it to keep track of how many days a winter I'd want to leave the Elio home and take the truck.

Feel free to play along, wherever you are, and for what ever reason you wouldn't/couldn't take the Elio.

Here's my view on the way home this afternoon:

HvRhm1idt351y-Xn4jWEsKyPeovX2IbD4ySwZ0cFAME=w699-h393.jpg

So I sit at 1 NE (Non Elio) day for the season so far. I'm NOT saying it'd be bad in snow, I just prefer a big old gas guzzling 4x4, even to my fairly surefooted full size Buick, when I don't know how bad the roads are gonna be.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As we're getting our first taste of winter up here, I thought I'd start this thread. I'm gonna use it to keep track of how many days a winter I'd want to leave the Elio home and take the truck.

Feel free to play along, wherever you are, and for what ever reason you wouldn't/couldn't take the Elio.

So I sit at 1 NE (Non Elio) day for the season so far. I'm NOT saying it'd be bad in snow, I just prefer a big old gas guzzling 4x4, even to my fairly surefooted full size Buick, when I don't know how bad the roads are gonna be.
Cheesehead, my view wasn't much different today! It didn't start snowing until I got home from the gym, so it would have been an Elio day for me! Check out my photo of our 1st snow day on Norahsbed banter thread!

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I wouldn't be at all afraid to drive an Elio in that. Remember the only real difference between an Elio and 90% of what else is on the road is you only have one rear tire instead of 2. You're still a front engine, front wheel drive vehicle. If at all in doubt, mount a set of studded winter snow tires. I personally don't foresee any problems with winter driving in an Elio. Where I live, we rarely receive snowfall of more than 6 or 8 inches at a time, our bigger problem is freezing rain. I'd much rather drive on snow than ice, but I have every intension of driving my Elio in all weather. I used to drive a VW Beetle. Now I'll have a HEATER!!

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't be at all afraid to drive an Elio in that. Remember the only real difference between an Elio and 90% of what else is on the road is you only have one rear tire instead of 2. You're still a front engine, front wheel drive vehicle. If at all in doubt, mount a set of studded winter snow tires. I personally don't foresee any problems with winter driving in an Elio. Where I live, we rarely receive snowfall of more than 6 or 8 inches at a time, our bigger problem is freezing rain. I'd much rather drive on snow than ice, but I have every intension of driving my Elio in all weather. I used to drive a VW Beetle. Now I'll have a HEATER!!

Like I said...

I'm NOT saying it'd be bad in snow, I just prefer a big old gas guzzling 4x4, even to my fairly surefooted full size Buick, when I don't know how bad the roads are gonna be.

What I can't predict is whether the plows have cleared that mound of snow between the two 4 wheeler tire tracks, or how an Elio will respond to them.

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mine will have a nice, warm space in my garage for the winter. I have a truck as well to deal with that time of year. With the gas savings from the rest of the year, driving the pickup won't hurt at all for 3 or so months out of the year.

I am a bit south of you in Iowa, so we haven't seen the white stuff yet, just had a little freezing rain tonight. But this will be about the time of year my licorice EMV will be getting prepped for a long winter nap!

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I'll still be driving the Elio. That's just a little frost around here!!

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Idea...

I was thinking of a idea for a upgrade for my Elio during the winter times... right now you can get a set of these "snow tracks" that bolt on to your hubs, they are the triangle shaped ones, made for 4 wheel drive trucks... cost about $2000 for 4 of them, these triangle shaped snow flat tracks just bolt on, take the tires off and put the tracks on... ( just guessing at price ) No need for chains.. when you have a Elio snow half-track...

You would only need 2 of them.. So maybe $1000 upgrade for winter snow tracks?... you would need to place a ski system in the back wheel area to lift the wheel up or just let it drag... no snow would stop you now... The Elio snow half-track is born... who is going to make it first...

Is Elio Motors getting this... sounds like a hell of a upgrade in the cold States in the winter time.. no stopping the Elio Nation....

Proud to Be.. an Elio owner #MMCCXXV = # 2225 see ya on the road...

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had a VW van, I feel your pain on the heater! :)

Me too! We used to own a VW Beetle in Germany. When it rained, water used to drip through the windscreen seal lower corners. It then ran into the A pillars, which is where the hot air ducts run. As soon a s you selected hot air, this water used to evaporate and flow up onto the inside of the screen, where it would condense.

Result? The "demist" was actually "totally mist up that windscreen worse than you could ever think possible". :eek:

Top Bottom