• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Northwest Ks Here;

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Have not reserved an Elio yet, but have been following the story for 2 months now, have become sort of an Elio research nerd. :rolleyes: I suppose you could say I am not an impulse buyer. BUT... I am very interested and intrigued by a vehicle that runs on gas, gets 2-3 times what a normal car gets, and is out-of-the-norm.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have not reserved an Elio yet, but have been following the story for 2 months now, have become sort of an Elio research nerd. :rolleyes: I suppose you could say I am not an impulse buyer. BUT... I am very interested and intrigued by a vehicle that runs on gas, gets 2-3 times what a normal car gets, and is out-of-the-norm.
Jeff, you sure aren't alone. I did tons of research before I went in and even then, it was a rather modest investment. Now, I'm all in but in reality, unless you just want to support the effort or perhaps to help influence other manufacturers to offer a less expensive option, the truth is that if you want one, you'll be able to get one. Some of us will just get a couple months' head start on you (and an additional $500 off), that's all! Welcome to the forum... The search area works well for a lot of questions but feel free to ask. We are a vocal bunch and mostly nice.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great Ty, thanks! That's great to hear about the vocal and mostly nice, on the Elio FB posts folks are vocal and mostly typing the first thing they can think of in an emotional state, knowing there's no consequence for stating their feelings as fact. lol

It's refreshing to read your optimism on the quick availability of the vehicle, once production starts. Tell me more of your thoughts, but it seems to me that there are a thousand little details to work out and work through, before a retail center is open from 9am-9pm, you can walk in and order one, and have it delivered in 2 weeks or less. I'm 4.5 hrs from Denver, so the thought of me driving there on a Saturday, ordering the car, and then returning 2 weeks later to pick it up... realistically one would predict we'd be talking about May of 2016 at the earliest before something like that is in place.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's the latest in my research for KS, and the laws w.r.t. autocycle and plates and driver's license type:

The DMV state org is saying the following: they are aware of and suggested that I read the "best practices" document from the
American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators. I did, and it says that if a vehicle is an autocycle, a normal driver's license is good enough. For plates, a separate AU plate structure should be implemented, size and shape similar to a motorcycle. But when I asked the org if KS will soon be following the AAMVA suggestions, I got "... there have been discussions but not yet there. Will let you know as soon as we are." While I very much appreciate any and all information, there exists some but not enough solid info available. Will require some faith that in the next 15 months, KS will change their laws. IL and CO have recently passed some laws, but don't think governor has officially signed them yet. In a few other states, and bill has been started but has died in committee. I suppose it's time to either see the glass as half-full or half-empty. ;)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great Ty, thanks! That's great to hear about the vocal and mostly nice, on the Elio FB posts folks are vocal and mostly typing the first thing they can think of in an emotional state, knowing there's no consequence for stating their feelings as fact. lol

It's refreshing to read your optimism on the quick availability of the vehicle, once production starts. Tell me more of your thoughts, but it seems to me that there are a thousand little details to work out and work through, before a retail center is open from 9am-9pm, you can walk in and order one, and have it delivered in 2 weeks or less. I'm 4.5 hrs from Denver, so the thought of me driving there on a Saturday, ordering the car, and then returning 2 weeks later to pick it up... realistically one would predict we'd be talking about May of 2016 at the earliest before something like that is in place.
Elio is actually saying they'll be able to go from order to delivery in 24 hours. They'll fill regional distribution centers with base models and at those locations is where the options will be added. The GM plant where they are going to assemble the Elio was putting together Chevy S-10s at the rate of one per 54 seconds which is how fast we ran the line. I was an industrial engineer there balancing line stations and working with automatic line balance system and material line balance system. assembling them at that rate makes 500 per day within reason if their parts can keep up. Now, at half speed, they'll make 250 an hour, 1,250 per week, 5,000 per month, etc... Reservations are just over 18,000 right now with roughly 25% at the $1,000 all-in level (we know this by dividing the highest known reservation number by the total number of reservations - we've tested this over the last couple of "number releases" and it remains consistent).

Regardless, even if you wait till the last minute and put in $100, you'll get one within the first year of production... if you went to $1,000 today, and the formula remains fixed (it'll change when Elio goes to production as people will throw in the $900 at the last second to get the $500 added bonus off)... AND Elio caps preorders at 40,000 for some reason, you'd get yours in about 8 weeks after production starts... $100 would get you one in 8 months.

I, obviously, think the Elio will be a big hit when it comes out like the Mazda Miata was and will be hard to come by after production starts... Those Miatas were fetching $30K in Atlanta - well, that's what they were being advertised for even though Mazda would order you one for $13,900. I think that Elio will be hard pressed to keep up with demand for a while and that if you didn't already have one on order, you could be waiting at least a year to get one. At one point, they said they'd cap pre-orders at one year's worth of production. At this point, it's $100 to help Elio establish a "See, this is going to work because we have enough pre-orders to make it worth producing _____ for us" The door handle manufacturer wants to make sure there will be enough sales to make it worth setting up production.

And that is my two cents worth... I need a hobby.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: And that is my two cents worth... I need a hobby.

:)

Morgan Monroe MNB-1.jpg

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just recently upgraded to $1000 all in. Will be going to see P4 on display at Independence, MO., weekend of July 27th. Am hoping to one of the first Elio's in Topeka, if not in Kansas itself,!
Hey Scott, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your reservation!

Glad to have another KS person that's bought in. There's a few others, it's been awhile since I looked at the map that shows many of the reservationists.

Good to hear you'll be seeing the tour this coming weekend, I'll be there on Sat. afternoon.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just recently upgraded to $1000 all in. Will be going to see P4 on display at Independence, MO., weekend of July 27th. Am hoping to one of the first Elio's in Topeka, if not in Kansas itself,!
Scott, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your upgrade. Look forward to your opinions and comments after you see the P4. I'm certain it will inspire more confidence in Elio. Pretty amazing concept. Enjoy the Elio experience and the journey with us.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
:welcome: Welcome Scott from the Pacific NW
Great to hear that you've joined the All In and Elio Owners Forum
You'll find a wealth of information here about the Elio and a number of other items; we have a large cross section of people, ages and walks of life.
You are always welcome to join in on any topic or thread you see; don't be shy, no one here bites <LOL> :becky:

Top Bottom