• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Obd2 Or Other Engine Diagnostics, Anyone Have An Idea?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... with barely a glance there appear to be plenty of development kits for can bus tools. Some are open source and some cost a bit of money but not large amounts. Many development kits even come with bread boarded as well as fully enclosed test systems.

Many many moons ago I remember researching a can bus architecture for an embedded project I was working on and I seem to recall at that time that many of the chip makers offered the tools (sdk and apis) as part of their chip purchase.

As can bus is very widely used I really can't say I am too surprised. I happen to be catching up with the Elio tour again this weekend in Charlotte and I will probably feel out Jerome Vassallo to see if EM may have any interest in this kind of project or would be willing to provide the documentation to make this project easier even if it would need to be sold independently.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting considering, if I pay a grand or so and get the upgrade, I'd have all the features of a fully functional OBD-II through an app plus a little more like Internet and Bluetooth. That data has to be streamed from somewhere...

I feel like there specifically truncating OBD-II to push their upgrade package.
Bob132, Welcome from New Mexico. You probably find all the information you need on the forum. we try to keep it informative and entertaining. Enjoy the experience and the journey.

Bob132

Reaction score
If the after market sees a demand for it they will have a plug and play reader and programmer for the ELIO ready with in 48 hours of the first one the get their hands on. Simple stuff.
Units like the Powervision from Dynojet read every bit of data from the ECM display it in any one of many formats you choose. It will allow you to rewrite the tune or run a custom auto tune based on your needs. When HD switched to CANBUS They had the Powervision ready in 24 hours.
No need for a $2000 options it can display all information data you want and more. MPG both for trip and current trip information .
It can read every DTC and tell you what it means. it can clear codes .
Give them a reason it will be on the market by the time to fill your tank a second time.

I might volunteer for that job. I've been a software engineer for 35 years doing everything from low level bit tweaking of hardware up to modern GUIs. I'm working on exiting the profession in April but I could see using those skills to create a new toy for the new toy :)

Hmmm... with barely a glance there appear to be plenty of development kits for can bus tools. Some are open source and some cost a bit of money but not large amounts. Many development kits even come with bread boarded as well as fully enclosed test systems.

Many many moons ago I remember researching a can bus architecture for an embedded project I was working on and I seem to recall at that time that many of the chip makers offered the tools (sdk and apis) as part of their chip purchase.

I'm glad there's so much interest in the community for coming up with a solution. This is just my two cents I think community would be best served if we could link the Can Bus to Obd2 port. From what I've read, Obd2 standard Is compatible with Can Bus protocols. All we need is hardware to forward Can Bus Protocols that ties into ObdII port. If that were available we would be able to use the existing ObdII aftermarket tools.

Bob132, Welcome from New Mexico. You probably find all the information you need on the forum. we try to keep it informative and entertaining. Enjoy the experience and the journey.

Greetings from Minnesota. Thank you for the welcoming post. I'm still pretty new and I will enjoy looking around.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm certainly not opposed to using aftermarket programmers .... I've used them with both gasoline and diesel motors and have been well pleased with the resulting performance .... my concern with using them on an Elio is, the motor has no real world track history .... not to say I'd never buy one for an Elio but I have no desire to be the test case

Jim

Top Bottom