• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Observations From A Long Time Lurker

NorTracNY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I figured I'd start a new thread. I have followed Elio for almost two years. I put in a non-refundable depost. I love the vehicle's concept and hope to be driving one in 2018. I have read in this forum for well over a year and a half on and off.

Elio may have a great product, but they seem to lack both funding, project management, and communication. I am not surprised at the funding. They are a startup, and Paul is taking a rather unconventional approach. He is looking to put out a beautiful first product on day one. Most companies put out a product MUCH earlier to have some income, but also to show investors that they are a company that CAN product something. He is also talking of having full infrastructure ready on day one! Let's hit a single before swinging for the fences.

Project management/communication is tougher. They may have one or the other, but certainly not both. They are not that big in terms of the number of employees. There is no reason that Paul is saying one thing, the head of engineering is saying something different, and an employee touring with the vehicle says another.

I'm tired of hearing about the start of production date. The start of production has little to do with the calendar. Clearly the company is cash strapped and they have no production date without the cash. The ATVM loan is key, but we really don't know what is needed. Do they just need to get the mpg of an engineering model? If so, does Elio have the cash to get that done? If so when does Elio expect that?

The start in December '16 of 100 fleet vehicles has me asking nothing but questions. What is the definition of start? When is COMPLETION of the 100 vehicles expected? Does Elio have the funding for completion of this? When I saw the P4 in 10/2015 I was told that the engineering models had already been started and they did not need the funding from Reg A to do it! The guy said that the timeframe of the engineering models wasn't known since changes/tweeks were likely going to be made from the process. He said, "You know safety has to come first, right?" I said, "NO, can you tell me that vehicle (rollcage and airbags) is going to be less safe than any motorcycle?" He was speechless.

I also spoke to him on delivery of the vehicles. I was shocked that they planned to have all the marshalling centers and retail stores up for the delivery of the first vehicles. That's INSANE! Why would you have a retail store location for a product that you can't take a deliver a new order from for over a year!?!? That's a rediculous expense for a new company. I told him how I received my tractor delivered on a flatbed truck that called in a wrecker. The truck driver drove the tractor off the flatbed onto the wrecker. The wrecker pulled forward and rolled him off. He pulled it into my driveway and said, "enjoy your tracter." and left to deliver the other tractors on the flatbed. That's what I expect from Elio. The Elio guy never had heard of doing it like that.

Well this is plenty long for a first introduction. :)

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I figured I'd start a new thread. I have followed Elio for almost two years. I put in a non-refundable depost. I love the vehicle's concept and hope to be driving one in 2018. I have read in this forum for well over a year and a half on and off.

Elio may have a great product, but they seem to lack both funding, project management, and communication. I am not surprised at the funding. They are a startup, and Paul is taking a rather unconventional approach. He is looking to put out a beautiful first product on day one. Most companies put out a product MUCH earlier to have some income, but also to show investors that they are a company that CAN product something. He is also talking of having full infrastructure ready on day one! Let's hit a single before swinging for the fences.

Project management/communication is tougher. They may have one or the other, but certainly not both. They are not that big in terms of the number of employees. There is no reason that Paul is saying one thing, the head of engineering is saying something different, and an employee touring with the vehicle says another.

I'm tired of hearing about the start of production date. The start of production has little to do with the calendar. Clearly the company is cash strapped and they have no production date without the cash. The ATVM loan is key, but we really don't know what is needed. Do they just need to get the mpg of an engineering model? If so, does Elio have the cash to get that done? If so when does Elio expect that?

The start in December '16 of 100 fleet vehicles has me asking nothing but questions. What is the definition of start? When is COMPLETION of the 100 vehicles expected? Does Elio have the funding for completion of this? When I saw the P4 in 10/2015 I was told that the engineering models had already been started and they did not need the funding from Reg A to do it! The guy said that the timeframe of the engineering models wasn't known since changes/tweeks were likely going to be made from the process. He said, "You know safety has to come first, right?" I said, "NO, can you tell me that vehicle (rollcage and airbags) is going to be less safe than any motorcycle?" He was speechless.

I also spoke to him on delivery of the vehicles. I was shocked that they planned to have all the marshalling centers and retail stores up for the delivery of the first vehicles. That's INSANE! Why would you have a retail store location for a product that you can't take a deliver a new order from for over a year!?!? That's a rediculous expense for a new company. I told him how I received my tractor delivered on a flatbed truck that called in a wrecker. The truck driver drove the tractor off the flatbed onto the wrecker. The wrecker pulled forward and rolled him off. He pulled it into my driveway and said, "enjoy your tracter." and left to deliver the other tractors on the flatbed. That's what I expect from Elio. The Elio guy never had heard of doing it like that.

Welcome to the forum. And I must say, the best forum for (the most) accurate information...just my opinion.
As you are aware, when you went "all in" This vehicle was a prototype and never promised to even reach production...and you went "all in" anyway. I'm sorry you didn't believe them.
What you describe as "...someone told me this or that" has happened to us all, Because EM has invited us along for the ride" . They have also made us all very aware, that many things we hear are merely "forward thinking statements." Please look up what that actually means.
I don't mean to come across as condescending or snarky. Just letting you know that we do our best to correct "misinformation", even tho this forum in not directly connected to EM, and (to the best of my knowledge) no one connected to this forum is employed by them. So, if you are aware of grave errors (made by EM) that could easily be corrected because of your field of expertise, please contact EM directly. If however, you have already contacted them, (over and over again) and they have stopped responding to you, so that they can get some work done...:noidea:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Elio has been the most transparent company I've seen in probably forever. The communicate constantly about every step of the process of designing a car. I've seen pictures of the new mid-engine Corvette that is coming out that everyone knows is coming and yet Chevy is taking forever to build it and they are mum about it as well. Elio is showing us every step of the process.

Nowhere has Elio said they'll have all the stores and marshaling centers set up on day one. (In fact, they have always said the opposite) With their partnership with the auction house, they have locations all over for the marshaling but they will be installing all options at Shreveport for reservationists at least. Of course, it won't take long to work through 65,000 reservations once the line gets moving. I know first hand that line can put out one car every 54 seconds and it takes very little time to train workers. Each station is set up to have simple tasks. I mean, a double station would only take 108 seconds to perform the job. A double station has 2 crews working at it. Each crew works every other car so they can spend longer performing their tasks.

At 54 seconds per car, the line can produce 533 Elios per 8 hours of work. They'll work on two shifts eventually but even at one shift, they can produce 2,666 vehicles per 5 day week, blowing through the reservations in 24 weeks.

NorTracNY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have never said Elio is a scam. I am just expressing my views. They do not have one source of communication and that causes problems. Should we ignore all communication from Elio Motors that does not come from Paul? I am reporting what my experience was when I got to see the P4.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum. Apparently, you have followed it for some time now and are aware of the development process that Elio has pursued. It has been a long process that seems to have no end. Having said that I have an all in reservation (#3419) and $5000 in Elio stock and still hope to be able to drive my Elio before the grim reaper comes to get me. It just takes patience and faith and I continue to have both.

Top Bottom