• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Odds For Getting A Ticket

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
taken from this link

The 10 cars most likely to get traffic tickets
  1. Lexus ES 300
  2. Nissan 350Z
  3. Dodge Charger SE/SXT
  4. Volkswagen Jetta GL
  5. Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS/LT
  6. Mazda 3S
  7. Volkswagen GTI
  8. Dodge Stratus SXT
  9. Acura 3.0s
  10. Toyota Tacoma

The 10 cars found to get the least tickets are:

1. Buick Encore
  2. Lexus IS350
  3. Acura ILX
  4. Cadillac ATS
  5. Chevrolet Express
  6. Cadillac Escalade
  7. GMC Savana
  8. Audi A3 2-Series
  9. BMW 320I
  10. Land Rover Range Rover

the least likely list seems pretty logical .... I would have thought more sports cars would have been on the most likely list

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It has alot to do with color. DuPont used to post stats on tickets vs car color back in the '80's to the jobber shops. Red was always high on the list for tickets, beige and white near the bottom. In fact, it is probably a combination of color and car model together that really drive the stats.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Correlation != Causation
You don't get ticketed because your car is red. You get ticketed because you drive like an idiot.
Yep. The only correlation to color is that most likely more red car drivers drive like idiots.
I've owned Corvettes and Camaros (all convertibles) for years and my last ticket was 1964.
I drive about 25,000 miles a year and I don't drive like a Grandpa, even though I are one!

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didnt say color caused the tickets, I said the stats showed higher tickets went to red cars. Obviously there is more at work here than the color. Maybe they are just more obvious as they go speeding by, who knows?
Color science says that red is "confining and small" and white and blue are "expansive and calming", so maybe there are mental processes at work as well. Bright object stand out, beige objects blend in. Stand out = target. Every see bright red Camo? Only works well on Mars...

runt2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I didnt say color caused the tickets, I said the stats showed higher tickets went to red cars. Obviously there is more at work here than the color. Maybe they are just more obvious as they go speeding by, who knows?
Color science says that red is "confining and small" and white and blue are "expansive and calming", so maybe there are mental processes at work as well. Bright object stand out, beige objects blend in. Stand out = target. Every see bright red Camo? Only works well on Mars...

Another, more likely possibility is that the type of people who generally choose to buy red cars in general are younger, and/or more aggressive, and/or less conforming personality types. Having said that, I drive a red car. It was my second to last choice for color (black being last choice), but it was the best deal for my used, salvage title car search. I haven't had a speeding ticket for at least 15 years.

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Daily driver since 1984 has been a Corvette and have never gotten a ticket .(they won't take me alive) my last ticket was at 2 am in the morning for driving too slow (2mph under ) The vehicle was a 60 ton crane and it was white with a red strip .

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Daily driver since 1984 has been a Corvette and have never gotten a ticket .(they won't take me alive) my last ticket was at 2 am in the morning for driving too slow (2mph under ) The vehicle was a 60 ton crane and it was white with a red strip .
It definitely that red stripe that did it!

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another, more likely possibility is that the type of people who generally choose to buy red cars in general are younger, and/or more aggressive, and/or less conforming personality types.
This. Men, particularly young men who have a tendency to drive fast, prefer sporty cars with flashy colors, like red and orange, and the "sexy" black. Women and older men prefer to more sedate "business" colors, like silver, brown, and gold.

Overall, it's extremely difficult to make any kind of conclusion. People don't get to pick any color of car they want. They can only buy the colors that manufacturer's offer. You have to mix in there that manufacturers offer colors based on the image they want to present with a particular model, and the general expectation of what color a particular type of vehicle should be. (Red/orange for sporty cars, silver/blue for more conservative models.) Do women buy blue vehicles because it's their favorite color, or is it because women buy more minivans, and blue is a popular color for minivans?

Top Bottom