• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Oklahoma State Legislature

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/s685
Says there's only a 4% chance of being enacted.

with absolutely no political knowledge of the goings on around this bill, I can believe the 4% figure .... once EM goes into production and their trikes are on the roads all across the country, I believe the percentage will go much higher and will eventually be enacted

HonestTex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
with absolutely no political knowledge of the goings on around this bill, I can believe the 4% figure .... once EM goes into production and their trikes are on the roads all across the country, I believe the percentage will go much higher and will eventually be enacted
My knowledge rivals yours on this subject. I think the bill will "die" in committee, and have to be re-introduced at a later date. At least I think that's how it works.

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My knowledge rivals yours on this subject. I think the bill will "die" in committee, and have to be re-introduced at a later date. At least I think that's how it works.
Hey, an aspect of the Vitter (Federal) bill I had not been aware of when it first came out was that it would make autocycles eligible for CAFE credit payments. When P4 was in Portland, Jerome said that the other automakers would love to pay Elio millions of $ IN ADVANCE for the credits from the Elio but Vitter needed to become law. Not sure if this off track is elsewhere on this forum but that idea startled me. Seems this legislation is more important than I first thought.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It may not be a bad idea for this one to die as written. It'll require autocycles to meet a bunch of passenger car safety standards. Not that Elio won't meet them but it does put the requirement that Elio go through the process.

Here it is. Basically, it says "Here are the interim safety standards that will be in play until 3 years after enactment of the Autocycle Safety Standards at which point the secretary will have to finalize the standards."

Autocycles

(a)
Interim safety standards for autocycles

During the period beginning on the date of the enactment of the Autocycle Safety Act and ending on the effective date of the rules issued pursuant to subsection (c), a person satisfies the requirements set forth in section 30112(a) with regard to an autocycle if the autocycle—

(1)
complies with the motor vehicle safety standards for passenger cars with gross vehicle weight ratings of 10,000 pounds or less, as set forth in part 571 of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, relating to—

(A)
seating systems (FMVSS 207);

(B)
belted occupant crash protection (FMVSS 208);

(C)
seat belt assemblies (FMVSS 209);

(D)
seat belt assembly anchorages (FMVSS 210);

(E)
child restraint systems (FMVSS 213);

(F)
roof crush resistance (FMVSS 216);

(G)
child restraint anchorage systems (FMVSS 225); and

(H)
flammability of interior materials (FMVSS 302);

(2)
meets the performance criteria relating to upper interior impact set forth in FMVSS 201 to the extent possible to reach the target points;

(3)
is equipped with a steering wheel air bag, 2 curtain side impact air bags, anti-lock brakes, and electronic stability control; and

(4)
complies with the motor vehicle safety standards for motorcycles, as set forth in part 571 of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, relating to—

(A)
brake hoses (FMVSS 106);

(B)
lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment (FMVSS 108);

(C)
rearview mirrors (FMVSS 111);

(D)
motor vehicle brake fluids (FMVSS 116);

(E)
new pneumatic tires (FMVSS 119);

(F)
tire selection and rims (FMVSS 120);

(G)
motorcycle brake systems (FMVSS 122);

(H)
motorcycle controls and displays (FMVSS 123); and

(I)
glazing materials (FMVSS 205).

(b)
Applicability

In determining which motor vehicle safety standards are applicable to autocycles, the Secretary of Transportation shall—

(1)
apply motorcycle safety standards to those aspects of an autocycle’s performance regulated through the motor vehicle safety standards applicable to motorcycles; and

(2)
apply passenger car safety standards to those aspects of an autocycle’s performance regulated through motor vehicle safety standards that are not otherwise regulated through a motorcycle standard.

(c)
Rulemaking

(1)
In general

Not later than 3 years after the date of the enactment of the Autocycle Safety Act, the Secretary shall issue such final rules, interpretations, and test procedures in accordance with subsection (b) as may be necessary for a person to satisfy the requirements set forth in section 30112(a) with regard to an autocycle.

(2)
Rulemaking

In issuing rules to preserve autocycle safety pursuant to paragraph (1), the Secretary shall—

(A)
provide autocycle manufacturers with appropriate lead time to comply with the safety standards set forth in such rules; and

(B)
comply with the requirements and considerations set forth in subsections (a) and (b) of section 30111.

HonestTex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe EM was involved with writing the bill, so they are ok with what's in it. It probably will die in committee because so many states have already adopted their own legislation, and the Feds just don't feel the need right now. But I think we should make a little noise about it so its at least on their minds. Personally I would rather have the feds in front of this instead of playing catch up later. The States' laws may all be close enough to each other that there may not be any problems driving across many states, but they may not. Uniformity would be nice, and getting EM CAFE credits would be a huge benefit.

Top Bottom