• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

On Horse Power

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe we can eventually get something like the Corvair had back then in the 60's.

Engine displacement - 164 cubic inches

HP came in standard dual carb 80, ramp it up to 4 carbs for 140 HP, or add a turbo and a big four barrel to get 180HP

I do expect something along these lines will eventually become reality. In the Town Hall Meeting Paul Elio said that EM does have plans to eventually offer software which will allow us to unlock the full power tune for this engine instead of the detuned programming which will be used to reach their MPG standards. This alone should bump up the power about 20% to about 65 HP.

During the same meeting, and also reported other places, Paul Elio has has said that IAV engineers are working on a Turbo and EM's assembly line assembly line equipment provider, Comau, has left room in the plant layout to allow for turbo installation. I would also not be surprised to see a more advanced dual overhead cam cylinder head eventually become available for this motor.

Putting all this together means that we will likely see upgraded versions of this motor running reliably with over 100 HP and possibly a good bit more. That would really turn this vehicle into one fun ride!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
And completely defeat the purpose!

I actually believe it helps Elio Motors. The reality is that EM needs to sell as many vehicles as possible and sell as many options as possible to increase their profit and remain a viable business. Available performance options bring in more vehicle buyers and provide EM with the profit margin they need to stay in business and continue offering the ultra high mileage base model at a very low price.

Last edited:

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup, we'll stick with the UHM feature of the Elio, but there will always be gearheads that will want to do something to vehicles. The more diversity, the better the sales. For the probable performace the 100hp version will put out it should still be pretty stunning MPG, considering the gas that is usually gulped by high performance engines.

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Remember Lbs/Hp ??
MGB, rubber bumper =23.8 Lbs/Hp 105/55 (from memory)
Elio in stanard trim =22.72 Lbs/Hp 55/55
Malibu base with 2.4engine =20.1 Lbs/Hp 169/162 2012 base
I have an MGB and like it, but MPG about 22 and torque less than HP
I have driven that Malibu (rental car) , not to shabby, but nothing special. 169 HP 162 FtLb
MB same , so ....... looks pretty good to me when you consider the Elio at 84MPG for 7000$ and the Malibu was rated at 30MPG an 22340$.

Bang For The Buck if I ever saw it :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
55 ft lbs of torque as well. That's what'll get us up to speed.

please keep in mind that this question is being asked by a person with very limited knowledge in this area :confused: ===> would the dual valve system used in the Elio engine be capable of generating more torque for helping maintain speed going up mountain roads

Jim

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A two valve per cyl vs 4 valve per cyl is not necessarily indicative of a torquey engine. But as a general rule 4valve heads breath well at high RPM and it can be easier to get the torque to peak at a lower RPM with a 2 valve head. Direct answer , not really. But what you want (me two) is a torque curve like a deisel , peak early and stay hi and flat to near redline. The 3 cyl format and long stroke will help. Hopefully that will be delivered by IAV. They know the task.
I think that kinda sonded like a poletician :)

Top Bottom