• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Options... Wish List.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well... How about a headrest screen for the rear passenger that can either show a feed from a camera mounted at the center top of the windshield, the rear camera, or something like Android Auto (or even Apple's Car Play or whatever they use). This way, your passenger doesn't have to stare at the headrest the whole trip.

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well... How about a headrest screen for the rear passenger that can either show a feed from a camera mounted at the center top of the windshield, the rear camera, or something like Android Auto (or even Apple's Car Play or whatever they use). This way, your passenger doesn't have to stare at the headrest the whole trip.

That would be nice but I think something that would also be very useful would be a roof rack that holds a "suitcase" that would interfere with the streamlining as little as possible. I know they are going to offer bike racks and the like but I want to be able to take a trip with a reasonable amt. of gear but still get my 80+ MPG. I can tie a suitcase on a bike rack and not have it fall off but it would kinda disrupt the air flow. That could be minimized with proper design.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That would be nice but I think something that would also be very useful would be a roof rack that holds a "suitcase" that would interfere with the streamlining as little as possible. I know they are going to offer bike racks and the like but I want to be able to take a trip with a reasonable amt. of gear but still get my 80+ MPG. I can tie a suitcase on a bike rack and not have it fall off but it would kinda disrupt the air flow. That could be minimized with proper design.
True, but thinking along those lines, you could have a nylon cover for it to go from the roof, up and over your luggage, and then seal the rear of the "package" (aka your luggage, or boxed items), that would take care of the airflow problem. This way you could have some odd shapes on the roof, and then a nylon cover that would smooth the airflow over and around it, and seal it from the weather. Being nylon it wouldn't weigh much (a few ounces) but it would smooth the airflow over it and protect it from the weather.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Our Xterra has a slopping shield across the front of the luggage rack to reduce wind resistance. I haven't tried to measure how well it works, but it must make a difference by shooting the oncoming air over the top of luggage.... as long as the luggage isn't too high.

xterra_rack.jpg

p.s. Here's a confidence builder. Yesterday I was in Sam's Club. At the auto dept. desk I asked the clerk if they had a battery for the Xterra. His reply was. "What's that; a Chevy?"

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True, but thinking along those lines, you could have a nylon cover for it to go from the roof, up and over your luggage, and then seal the rear of the "package" (aka your luggage, or boxed items), that would take care of the airflow problem. This way you could have some odd shapes on the roof, and then a nylon cover that would smooth the airflow over and around it, and seal it from the weather. Being nylon it wouldn't weigh much (a few ounces) but it would smooth the airflow over it and protect it from the weather.
Something like this?
https://www.yakima.com/softtop
More choices:
https://www.yakima.com/activity/travel
If they made this where it would fit an Elio, you could go camping:
https://www.yakima.com/skyrise-tent-small
or Mount this on the Elio roof rack:
https://www.yakima.com/slimshady

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I know Yakima rack puts out top quality stuff, we installed them for a number of years at a shop I worked for.
I was even doing some design work on "pad" placement for the plates you had to bolt to the roof (that's when I worked for a sunroof shop, so pulling down headliners was easy for me) and they paid fairly well also.
I like the quality of Yakima Racks, truly top notch.

Top Bottom