• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Over Running Clutch For Extra Mpg

MooJuice

Elio Fan
Reaction score
My first post. I've been following this car since I saw an article about it in a newspaper last year and Im pretty intrigued by the concept. Paul, my hat is off to you. I've built a few thing and while they usually function, they ain't pretty, seem like they take way longer to make than expected, and cost way more than I thought. I wish you the best of luck.
I'm a big fan of manual transmissions. Although they are relatively efficient at putting the power to the ground, the engine is often spinning faster than it needs to when going down a hill, coming up to a stop sign ect.. Kinda like those fixed gear bikes that the peddles always move on, you don't get a rest going down hill, it's just a lil easier than going uphill. I can usually pick up a couple mpg by shifting into neutral a while before approaching a stop sign or while going down a hill and just using my brakes. Has there been any consideration into adding an over running clutch similar to what peddle bikes have that would allow you to coast and then peddle when you want? I think this would help the elio easily hit the 84 mpg goal but I realize it would probably add a fair cost.. A lot of automatic transmissions will disengage at 28-35 mph, what if that limit was taken so that any time you had your foot off the gas the transmission would disengage? I think that's one reason the mid 90s Buick park avenues got such excellent mileage for how big they were is the transmission would just let the car coast when power wasn't required. My brother could pretty easily get 30-32 on the highway with his. Possibly electricity controlled hubs on the wheels would work similar to a lawn mower deck clutch to allow the computer to easily engage / disengage when needed.. What's your thoughts?

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My first post. I've been following this car since I saw an article about it in a newspaper last year and Im pretty intrigued by the concept. Paul, my hat is off to you. I've built a few thing and while they usually function, they ain't pretty, seem like they take way longer to make than expected, and cost way more than I thought. I wish you the best of luck.
I'm a big fan of manual transmissions. Although they are relatively efficient at putting the power to the ground, the engine is often spinning faster than it needs to when going down a hill, coming up to a stop sign ect.. Kinda like those fixed gear bikes that the peddles always move on, you don't get a rest going down hill, it's just a lil easier than going uphill. I can usually pick up a couple mpg by shifting into neutral a while before approaching a stop sign or while going down a hill and just using my brakes. Has there been any consideration into adding an over running clutch similar to what peddle bikes have that would allow you to coast and then peddle when you want? I think this would help the elio easily hit the 84 mpg goal but I realize it would probably add a fair cost.. A lot of automatic transmissions will disengage at 28-35 mph, what if that limit was taken so that any time you had your foot off the gas the transmission would disengage? I think that's one reason the mid 90s Buick park avenues got such excellent mileage for how big they were is the transmission would just let the car coast when power wasn't required. My brother could pretty easily get 30-32 on the highway with his. Possibly electricity controlled hubs on the wheels would work similar to a lawn mower deck clutch to allow the computer to easily engage / disengage when needed.. What's your thoughts?

Cost extra money and I don't think it would payoff in the long run

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
EM takes a few rock hard positions in its approach to producing their trike .... as you noted, cost would be a limiting factor .... to come close to their stated target of being able to sell their base model for $6,800 they will cut every penny possible .... the do have a range of optional items that they believe will be in demand (except for an option for the Elgin ) and that can be added easily after leaving the factory .... I don't know if the type of options you are talking about would fit that criteria

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome moojuice --- Back in 30's some cars had one way clutches in the drive. They called it "freewheeling". The problem with free wheeling was the lack of engine braking. Since the brakes of the day were marginal at best they would fade on even a moderate downhill grade and with no engine braking would leave you out of control until the crash. Modern fuel injection cuts the fuel off at negative torque and accomplishes the same thing without giving up engine braking.

Last edited:

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome moojuice --- Back in 30's some cars had one way clutches in the drive. They called it "freewheeling". The problem with free wheeling was the lack of engine braking. Since the brakes of the day were marginal at best they would fade on even a moderate downhill grade and with no engine braking would leave you out of control until the crash. Modern fuel injection cuts the fuel off at negative torque and accomplishes the same thing without giving up engine braking.
Saab had it also. Seems like the model 99 might have been the last. Just had to flip a small lever to engage/disengage.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
images5S5C6Y9N.jpg
Welcome from Georgia!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My truck used forward momentum when braking to turn the engine and all the accessories instead of fuel. If the transmission disconnected during slowing, the engine would be forced to use fuel to keep spinning. It's been shown that it is more efficient this way. Not only that but think about how much more wear and tear you are giving your brakes. Coming down Pike's Peak, I put my truck in 4X4 low and used the engine brake. Other cars were pulled over by the safety station because they had glazed their brakes but mine weren't hot at all.

Last edited:

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome from next door in MN! That big park ave had a lot of mass to keep it rolling too when you let off the gas. I was always amazed at how the heavy tanks I have owned (Camaros and Corvettes) coast forever with the clutch in. I think it has more to do with a 2 ton car and a bit of areo than anything else.

Top Bottom