• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Overstock.com Is Attempting To Exit Their Retail Business...

Reaction score
I had reason to believe that the safety tests were going to be done by the government AFTER the start of production. They will take random vehicle off the conveyer belt for the tests. Only that way Elio will get the safety rating. Until then Elio will continue to say it is Manufactured or designed to met the highest safety ratings. It don't matter anyways, Elio is a motorcycle, just like owning a gun, ya gona kill yourself with it.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had reason to believe that the safety tests were going to be done by the government AFTER the start of production. They will take random vehicle off the conveyer belt for the tests. Only that way Elio will get the safety rating. Until then Elio will continue to say it is Manufactured or designed to met the highest safety ratings. It don't matter anyways, Elio is a motorcycle, just like owning a gun, ya gona kill yourself with it.
Manufacturers do their own testing first since they know the specifications they have to meet. For example, the Alfa Romero Giuila delayed for 3 months because they (Alfa Romeo) discovered that it was never going to pass US crash standards. So, they fixed the issue with the A-Pillar and thus, they knew it was going to pass when the NHTSA pulled one from a dealer lot. If they would have found out after the fact, they would be in big trouble and would have to buy back a bunch of cars or replace them if it wasn't a simple fix.

As for Elio, as long as it passes motorcycle safety tests, the NHTSA is happy. Elio might say they are engineered to the highest safety standards and all they need to do is meet the standard set forth by the NHTSA. We have those standards because if not we would not have any car makers at all due to the liability. In essence, a car built in 1988 does not meet 2018 standards but that's OK because it's only applicable to the year it's produced. For example VW had to stop selling some cars in the US for 1994 because they did not have dual front airbags. Same thing happens with emissions. older powerplants and models were dropped because in 1996, everything had to be OBD II.

Since Elio only has to meet motorcycle standards in both departments, they are perfectly legal. If there's a change in the law, then they better hope that they future proofed the car. This is the same for other 3 wheelers (Vanderhall, Solo etc...). I suspect Elio is doing this because they know that the rules will be changed, thus it makes sense to build it right the first time, thus the reason for ABS, TC, Stability and airbags. Paul Elio has a number of patents that deal with safety, i know he will incorporate them into his cars.

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How does Overstock handle this now with other models? I presume that they would handle the Elio the same way.

I have no idea. I can’t see that they do offer any such service. At least I don’t see anything about it with a cursory look at the site.

I guess times are changing, but I have never purchased a vehicle, even a brand new one, without driving it. I have walked away from a few after driving.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have no idea. I can’t see that they do offer any such service. At least I don’t see anything about it with a cursory look at the site.

I guess times are changing, but I have never purchased a vehicle, even a brand new one, without driving it. I have walked away from a few after driving.

I have purchased three vehicles without driving them, including our Model X. I don't think it's so strange, or new. You just have to do your due diligence research (this assumes the information is out there, of course).

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
These are the two vehicles I bought without a test drive

Attachments

• HPIM2758.JPG
    HPIM2758.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 306

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How does Overstock handle this now with other models? I presume that they would handle the Elio the same way.
Cars by Overstock does NOT handle the actual sale. They are a three-way deal brokering service:
* Dealers with vehicles to sell join the Cars by Overstock program tp get their inventory listed
* Financing companies who want to finance auto sales join the Cars by Overstock program to make their loan services available to potential buyers
* Someone who wants to buy a car browses the available vehicles via the Cars by Overstock web site

Cars by overstock just arranges to bring the three parties together. There is no "Cars by Overstock" car lot, or "Cars by Overstock" salesman, or anything else that you would associate with buying/selling a car. They are a virtual business that facilitates the finding/buying process.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cars by Overstock does NOT handle the actual sale. They are a three-way deal brokering service:
* Dealers with vehicles to sell join the Cars by Overstock program tp get their inventory listed
* Financing companies who want to finance auto sales join the Cars by Overstock program to make their loan services available to potential buyers
* Someone who wants to buy a car browses the available vehicles via the Cars by Overstock web site

Cars by overstock just arranges to bring the three parties together. There is no "Cars by Overstock" car lot, or "Cars by Overstock" salesman, or anything else that you would associate with buying/selling a car. They are a virtual business that facilitates the finding/buying process.
Let's not forget to keep an eye on AMAZON

Top Bottom