• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P5 Photos From La Auto Show

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks like they gave up on the idea of using your own jug for the windshied washer fluid? I never liked that idea much anyway.

I take it the P5 don't actually run? Reason I say that, I don't see a battery. Mostly required in there somewhere.

Awesome pictures. Quality of pictures and Elio itself look great.
The P5 runs as Paul said he drove it when asked in the reveal. The battery is shown in one of the pics on another thread.

Gizmo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks like they gave up on the idea of using your own jug for the windshied washer fluid? I never liked that idea much anyway.

I take it the P5 don't actually run? Reason I say that, I don't see a battery. Mostly required in there somewhere.

Agree on the windshield washer fluid bottle concept. They're not very durable and would require a holder to support them... a lot. Read an article about an hour ago saying they drove it to the display area. The battery is in the photo of the overflow reservoir but I had to zoom in 800% to see that and that they had disconnect one terminal.

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Awesome. I got to remember the battery on these new vehicles don't look like the beast in my pickup. I had to jump a few people, and what's in some of them now, looks like a toy battery.

Elio certainly looks good here. I like what I see. Hopefully in 13 months, some of us will get to see it up close in their garage. :) And myself when all the reserved people get theirs. Sure looks like it will be fun to own and drive.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, thanks, those are the photos that were published yesterday ... and very nice photos they are.

Yes, it runs. The battery is under the coolant expansion tank, and it's disconnected at the show.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score

PAUL SAID THAT HE DROVE IT .

I WAS NOTICING THE WATER BOTTLE TOO AND HOW DIFFERENT IT IS
THAN THE ROUND JUGS THEY SELL AT PEP-BOYS .

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here’s our first look at Elio Motors’ 84-mpg P5 prototype
[Broken External Image]
By Andrew HardNovember 20, 2015 8:50 PM
For most of the automotive collective, November 18 was a banner day at the 2015 LA Auto Show. We saw the debut of the beautiful Fiat 124 Spider, the wraps came off the 10th-generation Honda Civic Coupe for the first time, and the topless Range Rover Evoque caused quite the commotion for better or for worse. On November 19, though, another car was unveiled to the public, one you might call the people’s main event.

With much anticipation, Arizona startup Elio Motors debuted its P5 prototype vehicle in LA, which closely previews the three-wheeled, 84-mpg, $6,800 commuter car that aims to go on sale at the end of next year. The prototype features a new, longer front end that is more aerodynamic than its predecessor, as well as side exhausts and a 0.9-liter, 55-horsepower, three-cylinder engine that was developed specifically for Elio. The car isn’t special for its unique looks or performance though, rather its blend of financial accessibility and low operating costs, both of which could grant unprecedented amounts of mobility to those less fortunate.

Thus far, 47,331 interested parties have plunked down cash to reserve their slots. But after a multitude of funding-related delays — the vehicle has been “coming soon” for years — there are still doubts that the car will ever be sold. Automotive startups come and go with frequency, so with the P5 at his back, Elio explained why his company would not suffer the same fate.

“I think we’re doing things different in a lot of ways,” he said. “First of all, there’s no new technology allowed on this vehicle. We call it the ‘four musts’ on every engineer’s desk: 84 mpg, $6,800, safe, no new technology. Every part on this vehicle is either in production or [a] slight modification from something that’s already in production, so we substantially mitigate the technical risk.”

Department of Energy’s ATVM loan program. A new rule passed by the SEC allows Elio to sell stock to non-accredited investors as well, and the company claims it could bring in another $25 million or so. The numbers (sorta) add up, but as any fundraiser will tell you, pledged dollars are not the same as real dollars.

Related: For real this time? Elio Motors’ 84-mpg P5 prototype to debut at LA Auto Show

Finances are one thing, but the product itself seems to make a lot of sense. Technically a motorcycle given its three-wheeled status, the P5 could potentially be cheaper to insure than most cars, and consequentially, it should be able to drive in HOV lane. It’s also much safer than a bike with its full roll cage, two seat belts, three airbags, electronic stability control, and ABS system. If you ask Elio, it’s pretty excitable behind the wheel as well.

“It’s fun,” he proclaimed. “The architecture itself is fun — sitting right between the front two wheels — and the motor and transmission work very well. It’s fun to drive.”

Without a doubt, the stakes for Elio Motors are high. We just hope that the vehicle, which seems to be perpetually coming next year, brings its three-wheeled flavor of fun to the streets soon. Watch the full P5 unveiling below.

Top Bottom