• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Parking On Street / Exposed Axle Area

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I park outside, but I'm not terribly worried about it. There won't be that much exposed to mess with, especially if they include the suspension well cover like in the configurator model. At that point it would take a decent set of tools to do anything more than aesthetic damage and if they have those, then there's not much you can do to stop them.

Thomas Maule

Elio Addict
Reaction score
i just plan on having good insurance lol. The biggest problem will be the time between me getting my elio, and full production. There will be a number of months where an insurance replacement will not be available. for this reason I am not selling my truck until I know I can get another elio.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Friend of mine had a Corvette he had to park on the street (no garage).
He ran a cut proof cable through all the wheels and the chassis, park it's nose up against the telephone pole, wrap the cable around it, and park his full size Ford 4 door right up against the back bumper. He had it alarmed to the max and fully insured.
This was good for about 8 months.
One morning he woke up to find his Corvette parked across the street, same cable through the wheels and wrapped around a pole there.
The Ford was still in the same spot.
He ran over to the Corvette and found a note on the windshield; it said "if we want it, we'll take it".
He dropped the cable routine after that, and upped his coverage on it.

It is true, if the thieves want it, nothing will stop them. If kids going down the street want to screw with it, they will.
Best advise: Full coverage, car cover, and make nice with all of your neighbors. :thumb:

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Glad to have found this forum! I am considering an Elio.

I have to park on the street in a very large, busy city neighborhood -- often blocks away from where I live. One concern I have is that a vandal could be drawn to the open axl area and mess with it. I wish a build option for the exterior would offer a cover over most of the exposed axle area.

Will most Elio owners park their vehicle off-the-street?

Hey W.P., welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately not much can be done to have the Elio protect itself from the vandals. As has been mentioned, you can get the camera system to document it.

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Good luck having this rig not attract attention.[/QUOTE]

I concur. Gotta let the paranoid go away. If you think it will be boogered with, either don't get one, or insure it in a proper fashion and let them replace it!

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This was one of my earliest questions when I first discovered the Elio. And to me, it's a genuine concern. Hopefully the production model completely closes off the axle area and the only things to really be exposed will be the metal rods between the body and the wheel.

screen-shot-2016-05-07-at-11-48-46-am-png.9344.png

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This was one of my earliest questions when I first discovered the Elio. And to me, it's a genuine concern. Hopefully the production model completely closes off the axle area and the only things to really be exposed will be the metal rods between the body and the wheel.

Maybe somebody who owns a Can Am or other reverse trike could offer some insight?

Top Bottom