• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Paul Elio Is A Coward.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I would love to see Elio partner with a kit car company like Factory Five and send them the tube chassis design they had and let the kit car company develop it from there.

I am sure it will be WAY more than the projected production price, but at least those of us who like DIY projects and are willing to put up the extra $, time, and effort we can get ours.

Maybe something like this will happen when Elio finally throws in the towel. At least it will be a little extra income in his pocket.

Hmmm, a Kit Elio... the Kit-E? Here Kit-E, Kit-E, Kit-E :D
I was at factory five in January with a friend who was picking up a roadster kit. I talked mostly to them about the 818 but managed to ask them about an Elio kit car. They knew about Elio and had zero desire to make a kit based on it. It would be way too expensive and about 10 people would buy it. Problem is, lack of off the shelf components makes it in the price range of the truck with a full body. Thus a realistic $25k for the kit. With the lack of power plants that would fit, it would be like the 818 where you are stuck with a Subaru unless you don’t mind spending another $20k in work on it. Then you’d have a $50k Elio. One other issue, people want an off the shelf motor and ECU. Nothing will work for an Elio.

The business plan sounds great for Paul. FF do all the work while Paul collects a royalty on a failed design.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What was Paul famous for saying? "We can get the price so low because we use all off the shelf components". Every other word was off the shelf. Was that a lie?
I think they thought it was a great idea until they had to execute that plan. When they found out that the "Blue Chip" suppliers were not gong to sell them parts for other cars to go onto an Elio, the tone changed. I notice it's now, off the shelf parts you can get at an auto parts store. Thus wipers, filters, fluids, spark plugs, pads, rotors, axle boots, tie rods, bulbs, belts and whatnot. Pretty much like if you own a Honda Civic Toyota Corolla or Subaru Outback. You can get just about anything for them because there are tons of them out there. For Elio it'll take them selling 200K per year for a few years before parts houses start socking Elio wear and tear parts. Then you always have Pep Boys which will be fully stocked.

Not the first time Paul had an idea but found that it was easier said than done. For example, tube frame, plastic body and their own engine. There are times you have to just give up on certain items to keep the project moving forward. Too bad they didn't notice this back in 2012 as to not waste money and time on things that were never going to pan out which seems to be obvious for many but not for Elio.

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It wasn’t about making and selling us a vehicle, it was more about ‘selling’ us on a vehicle that wasn’t ever going to happen. I personally think the idea of actually producing anything was so brief as to never be in their business plan.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sent Elio an e-mail last week asking if the plant suffered any damage in the tornadoes they had. No response. I wonder if there was damage and now they hope to collect insurance money. Maybe the plant is now un-useable, at least for Elio.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What was Paul famous for saying? "We can get the price so low because we use all off the shelf components". Every other word was off the shelf. Was that a lie?
Actually it was the beginning of the end for Paul when he so eloquently said "half the car, half the price".

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sent Elio an e-mail last week asking if the plant suffered any damage in the tornadoes they had. No response. I wonder if there was damage and now they hope to collect insurance money. Maybe the plant is now un-useable, at least for Elio.
The other tenant that leases a good part of it is probably looking on the plant to make sure it's still there. All is well.

Top Bottom