• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Pep Boys To Provide Service / Maintenance

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the point of identifying a service provider was to demonstrate to the public that things are progressing. EM is looking at the big picture and trying to provide the widest accessible service provider. As with any new product there will be growing pains and EM will have to make arrangements to take care of the "one-off" issues. I'm certain that we will find some areas where none of the major providers have outlets but give EM time. It's important to get the basic requirements in place before they can fine tune them. It's conceivable that they could align with someone like AAA and authorize service at AAA approved facilities.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The more posts I read regarding service the more I'm inclined to think Elio should have Elio Factory Sales and Servicing centers combined to provide and insure a consistent quality service after the sale experience........like any other car or motorcycle on the market. Counting on Pep Boys, or a chain like Midas or OMG! the thought of Walmart servicing my Elio may take the 'fun factor' out of owning the Elio.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the point of identifying a service provider was to demonstrate to the public that things are progressing. EM is looking at the big picture and trying to provide the widest accessible service provider. As with any new product there will be growing pains and EM will have to make arrangements to take care of the "one-off" issues. I'm certain that we will find some areas where none of the major providers have outlets but give EM time. It's important to get the basic requirements in place before they can fine tune them. It's conceivable that they could align with someone like AAA and authorize service at AAA approved facilities.
I like the AAA idea. I have one 3 blocks away so I can walk home after dropping my car off. LOL However the suggestion of Walmart by Craig? Sorry friend, I don't even go into the parking lot of Walmart let alone consider shopping or getting car service there. Shudder!!!!! LOL :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At the beginning. Something must have happened. Too bad, they have at least two in each state.
I had some work done on my Daihatsu by Midas in Eureka, CA. I was not impressed with their service and felt their prices were high. I am better off with AAA or even Bosch as there is one of them in Roseburg. Midas is in Eugene - 1 hour away or Medford - 2 hours away. :-) Z

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pep boys:
I took a dual fuel tank pickup in to have a fuel tank switch changed and was told they would have to remove the aft fuel tank to replace it. That was quite expensive. I bought the switch, took it home, crawled under the truck and removed the hoses and fasteners on the switch and replaced it.

Midas:
Midas guarantees their brake pads for life. They are so hard your rotors wear out before the pads costing quite a bit more than just replacing softer pads.

I do not trust either of those stores.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pep boys:
I took a dual fuel tank pickup in to have a fuel tank switch changed and was told they would have to remove the aft fuel tank to replace it. That was quite expensive. I bought the switch, took it home, crawled under the truck and removed the hoses and fasteners on the switch and replaced it.

Midas:
Midas guarantees their brake pads for life. They are so hard your rotors wear out before the pads costing quite a bit more than just replacing softer pads.

I do not trust either of those stores.

I get that. But I don't trust dealerships or any chain, really. The only chain I have found that I can trust (until they prove me wrong) is Christian Brothers Automotive. But it's a small chain i beleive.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I get that. But I don't trust dealerships or any chain, really. The only chain I have found that I can trust (until they prove me wrong) is Christian Brothers Automotive. But it's a small chain i beleive.
What's really sad is not trusting the servicing chain our future vehicle manufacturer has just chosen to be trustworthy. I really like the AAA approved servicing idea........if it was only an option......maybe for those markets that have no access to Pep Boys.

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Until they get the issue of dealing with the other 10% of us, this is actually a deal breaker for me. I was actually about to put in my reservation until I read the Pep Boys announcement. Nearest store is 70 miles from me. Elio dealerships don't help me either because that's going to be even further (Wheat Ridge is NW of Denver and Aurora is SE of Denver; I'm well north of Denver!).

As a side note, I really hate when companies talk about serving 90% of the population and garbage like that. They pat themselves on the back for a job well done, but conveniently forget the fact that means that the are ignoring 30+ million potential customers.

As far as Pep Boys goes, I did have to use one when my Camry broke down outside of Philly a few years ago. I remember the bill being a little high, but for warranty repairs that wouldn't be an issue.

I would rather they reimburse local shops then you can have who ever you want and trust.JMO
That would be the best option for me as well. There is a bit of precedent for this as well. Most car insurance companies these days will let you take your car into an autobody of your choice and then the bill just gets submitted to them. Why not do the same with Elio warranty repair?

Last edited:

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...snip... Most car insurance companies these days will let you take your car into an autobody of your choice and then the bill just gets submitted to them. Why not do the same with Elio warranty repair?
It took the insurance industry years to develop into what it is now.

There are some aftermarket warranties that work like you suggest however it requires a network of adjusters or farming it out to a contractor to insure you're not getting ripped off. They might want to do something like that for areas not otherwise covered, however for a start up company to do this wide spread it would be a huge money risk that they wouldn't want to deal with.

Top Bottom