• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Performance Tires For The Elio Will Be A Pain.

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the Elio's OEM front tire size will be 135/80 15. That is an awful tire for spirited driving. with a tall side wall and a thin profile side wall flex would make the car feel unstable under hard cornering. So I asked myself, "self what would be a better size for spirited driving?" The obvious answer is a 195/55 15. They would be within a tenth of an inch in height, but probably two and a half inches apart in the width department! So then the next question, Can a tire two and a half inches wider fit in the tire pod? Will the optional fenders cover a 2.5 inch wider tire? will wheel backspacing need to change?

I bring this up because I know that I'm not the only one thinking about this. Let's get the letters start rolling to Elio so they are aware of this possible future change and see what kind of support we can get. A wider 8 inch fender would be nice.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the Elio's OEM front tire size will be 135/80 15. That is an awful tire for spirited driving. with a tall side wall and a thin profile side wall flex would make the car feel unstable under hard cornering. So I asked myself, "self what would be a better size for spirited driving?" The obvious answer is a 195/55 15. They would be within a tenth of an inch in height, but probably two and a half inches apart in the width department! So then the next question, Can a tire two and a half inches wider fit in the tire pod? Will the optional fenders cover a 2.5 inch wider tire? will wheel backspacing need to change?

I bring this up because I know that I'm not the only one thinking about this. Let's get the letters start rolling to Elio so they are aware of this possible future change and see what kind of support we can get. A wider 8 inch fender would be nice.
Elio is offering optional fenders for the front. I don't see why they wouldn't offer a wider set for just such a set up. There has to be more than a few people who will want wider tires.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee what EM is going to tell you: "changing the tire size is not something we will or can do and meet our 84mpg or performance numbers. Once you take ownership of your Elio; you can change what ever you want".
Also take another item into consideration, are you comparing "spirited" of a typical 3,000+ pound car to the 1250lbs of the Elio? Because the Elio is so much lighter, the same rules and dynamics don't apply.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the Elio's OEM front tire size will be 135/80 15. That is an awful tire for spirited driving.
Yes, spirited driving is no fun on skinny tires.

lg03-04.jpg

:D

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee what EM is going to tell you: "changing the tire size is not something we will or can do and meet our 84mpg or performance numbers. Once you take ownership of your Elio; you can change what ever you want".
Also take another item into consideration, are you comparing "spirited" of a typical 3,000+ pound car to the 1250lbs of the Elio? Because the Elio is so much lighter, the same rules and dynamics don't apply.
and, I'm sure they'll mention that such a change will void the factory warrantee

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
and, I'm sure they'll mention that such a change will void the factory warrantee
Only if they can prove the modification caused any failure, and only for the failures it causes. They can't void the engine warranty if you put bigger tires on, unless the tires caused the engine failure.

Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act

Top Bottom