• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Pictures Of The P5 With The New Motor

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Noticed that is the manual transmission installed. Aisin BC5. Glad to see it has clutch fork instead of a coaxial hydraulic cylinder. The pedal box appears to have a mount for a clutch master cylinder. An external slave cylinder on the transmission and we're good to go. The engine seems to be bristling with sensors just like engine in the dyno film. I like progress.

Had a Ford Ranger that taught me about a coaxial slave cylinder. Had to drop the transmission to replace it.... twice.
External is the only way to go.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is great, and I am happy, but,,, it sure does look like a lot of work needs to be done in the next 6 +- weeks.

We really don't know, and I wont ask, exactly when these pictures were taken.
It would be neat, after the P5 debut, to have a bunch of pictures in various stages to show us how it all goes together.

Sr.MailMan

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Anybody wondering why the engine is not mounted 180 degrees around, so that the clutch and shift and exhaust would be closer to the side inside the cockpit?
What comes through the radiator will burn onto the headers too.
I guess they have their reasons... Just looks strange to Me.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anybody wondering why the engine is not mounted 180 degrees around, so that the clutch and shift and exhaust would be closer to the side inside the cockpit?

Just a thought........
The mounting puts the hot exhaust manifold and catalytic converter further from the passenger compartment so there is less heat to get rid of?
Might also move a hot future turbo away from passenger compartment?

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing. Rotated, things would line up better. As it is the air over the radiator cools the engine, which then flows over the exhaust and cat to reheat the engine, and the shift console is on the opposite side of the engine bay (but a cable shifter can solve that). Engine heat management not optimum. I think its oriented this way because the stock tranny would rotate the wheels backwards of the drivetrain was rotated 180.

Top Bottom