• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Poll For Increased North American Content

How much would you pay for increased NA content from 90% to 95%?

• $0 -- 90% is plenty

Votes: 24 66.7%
  • $100 - $500 -- I want to help out a little

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • $500 - $1,000 -- We need the jobs!

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • $1,000+ -- My pockets and heart hurt being so full

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NA -- I would only pay extra if the additional content was US only

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The thread about Elio choosing a company in India for the steel wheels got me wondering. Currently Elio is shooting for 90% North American content. Since the current market it set for US only, would we be willing to pay extra to bring the business and jobs back to our continent? Realizing of course that "our continent" includes countries that are not the USA.

I also wonder how much of the NA content is non-US, but I am not sure that number would ever be released.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
5% of $7,000 is $350. 5% of the Elio is $350 as it sits right now... If you paid an additional $350 for that 5%, you would be paying twice as much for those parts to have them made in North America. That's quite the fee.

2barrel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
5% of $7,000 is $350. 5% of the Elio is $350 as it sits right now... If you paid an additional $350 for that 5%, you would be paying twice as much for those parts to have them made in North America. That's quite the fee.
If someone else can make it better, faster, or for a lower cost with the same or better quality Elio would be foolish not to use that company as a supplier. You can be sure that's what will happen with the aftermarket suppliers. Have you priced factory parts at your local CHEVROLET dealer recently?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If someone else can make it better, faster, or for a lower cost with the same or better quality Elio would be foolish not to use that company as a supplier. You can be sure that's what will happen with the aftermarket suppliers. Have you priced factory parts at your local CHEVROLET dealer recently?
No. But at Ford, I can actually find parts less expensive than other places (even Ebay)... Example - Horn ring wiring for an F350. Ford sold it to me for $42. Ebay and others wanted around $112.

Bikebrains

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I became curious as to how Elio Motors defined "North American". I sent an email to Elio Motors that began with " On the Elio Motors home page there is a statement that says " Designed targeting utilization of 90% North American content." QUESTION: How does Elio Motors define "North American"?
I received the following reply:
[Elio Motors] Re: North American content

Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)

Mar 21, 14:15 EDT
Thanks for your email [ name redacted ]
We use the standard North American definition which includes the US, Canada, and Mexico.
Thanks again!
Best,
The Elio Team

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the world of manufacturing, North American Content is considered NAFTA countries. So, you could source all of your parts in Mexico and hit 100% North American content. Many people think that North American means, American but not according to the US Government. I always though that the 90% NA content was just something Elio said because people would assume that means, America and never look it up.

American made cars like BMW and VW get their engines and transmissions from Germany or Japan. From there most of the other parts are made in America, Canada and Mexico. Just those big items send them lower on the North American percentage. Then you have things like a Chevy Bowtie that's on a Camaro front grille, is made in China (pop one off and you'll see the sticker on the back) yet the master cylinder and brake booster is made in South Korea. In the end, you just never know where stuff is made for any car today.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mexico is currently the second largest exporter of vehicles to the United States about to overtake Japan.
If you own a car it may have been manufactured in Mexico or contains North American content made in Mexico.

Top Bottom