• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Prepped And Ready For E-series Assembly

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't find it now and it is driving me crazy (I know, short trip), but somebody some time ago had posted what each vehicle's destiny was.
Several of them had multiple overlapping tests to be done.

Hopefully somebody better versed than I could parse out the correct search terms and find it in here. Help!

I think this is the one you were talking about....

1) Underhood thermal & HV AC testing – 4 vehicles
2) Electrical – 12 vehicles
3) General inspection – all vehicles
4) Serviceability – 1 vehicle
5) Powertrain (to include altitude testing, emission certification, engine/transmission development & calibration, economy and software development & verification) – 9 vehicles
6) Interior – 4 vehicles
7) Noise, vibration & harness – 4 vehicles
8) Steering – 1 vehicle
9) Ride & handling (to include vehicle turning, objective measurements, NHTSA Fish Hook, tire wear and electronic stability) – 6 vehicles
10) Performance (to include engine/transmission shift validation, 0-60 mph, hill climb, cold temperature start-up and drivability and maximum speed) – 1 vehicle
11) Fuel systems – 1 vehicle
12) Brakes – 4 vehicles
13) Body systems – 12 vehicles
14) Durability – 7 vehicles
15) Safety tests – 8 vehicles

If I remember, I originally dug this out of the SEC filing.
But the other came from someplace else.
Part of that whole stability control thing since it uses brakes in part.

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Y

5) Powertrain (to include altitude testing, emission certification, engine/transmission development & calibration, economy and software development & verification) – 9 vehicles
6) Interior – 4 vehicles
8) Steering – 1 vehicle
9) Ride & handling (to include vehicle turning, objective measurements, NHTSA Fish Hook, tire wear and electronic stability) – 6 vehicles
10) Performance (to include engine/transmission shift validation, 0-60 mph, hill climb, cold temperature start-up and drivability and maximum speed) – 1 vehicle
12) Brakes – 4 vehicles

You nailed it! Thank you...

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

6) Interior – 4 vehicles
8) Steering – 1 vehicle
12) Brakes – 4 vehicles

Do I recall a graphic showing how to do all this with 25 vehicles? If not, it would be interesting and instructive to construct one -- 25 tracks with appropriate tests for each.Of course, the list here is actually groups of tests -- you might have a slew of different tests, and the Powertrain group demonstrates.

For what it's worth, complete vehicles are not needed for all tests. You don't need a functional AC plant to test the steering and fuel system, for example.

I bet it would be possible for some bored spread-sheet guru to find the minimum number of bodies needed to complete all tests, and map it. You can bet Elio Motors has already done it, with every single test matched to a specific E-car.

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score

6) Interior – 4 vehicles
8) Steering – 1 vehicle
12) Brakes – 4 vehicles

What is missing on this list is the crash test vehicles, or for another term, the sacrificial lambs...

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seeing these photos really makes the reality seem closer at hand, even though the biggest hurdle remains. Production funding.
What is missing on this list is the crash test vehicles, or for another term, the sacrificial lambs...
I think that's number 15 with 8 vehicles. that would leave 17 which might survive testing.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seeing these photos really makes the reality seem closer at hand, even though the biggest hurdle remains. Production funding.

I think that's number 15 with 8 vehicles. that would leave 17 which might survive testing.
I concur. I know NHTSA minimum for cars is 6 destructive tests, so if Elio is looking to do try and match as close to that program as an autocycle can, then that would leave them with a couple extra in case some tests are failures and they need to re-engineer portions of the car and try again.

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I concur. I know NHTSA minimum for cars is 6 destructive tests, so if Elio is looking to do try and match as close to that program as an autocycle can, then that would leave them with a couple extra in case some tests are failures and they need to re-engineer portions of the car and try again.
You are correct. In my mind I was looking for different nomenclature, and was therefore blinded by my own reality. Or lack thereof!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

The original plan called for holding 5 cars for marketing and test drives but since EM will be building thst fleet of 100, that has probably changed. Pity.

Top Bottom