• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Price Increase

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the price of raw materials goes up, then the price of the vehicle needs to go up too. Even though I am locked in at $7000, I would not be really opposed to paying an extra 15% ($1050) if that is what it takes to get one in my driveway. On the other hand, I think Paul will do everything he can to honor the commitment and support from people who have been in much longer than the year and a half that I have been in. This has been a labor of love and passion for Paul, and I am still amazed at the stamina of that guy to keep this party going. If it was a scam, he has still worked harder for his money than if he had worked at the mill. A lesser man (or woman) would have caved long before this. I plan to keep rooting for Paul and the affordable autocycle until Paul gives up.

Go Elio
As I said in the past, even WHEN the price goes up....IF they can keep the base price at sub $10,000 ....they have a winner :D

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I said in the past, even WHEN the price goes up....IF they can keep the base price at sub $10,000 ....they have a winner :D
PLUS, relatively speaking, Elio will still be cheap. They will use less steel than other cars which will also go up in price. Think about that F350 and all it's steel. Now, think about Elio and it's steel. Let's say the Elio has 1,000 of steel compared to the F350's 7,500 pounds of steel (purely a guess. Mine weighs close to 9k). Even if Elio's steel price goes up 30% while Ford's only goes up 10%, you are going to see Ford pay almost twice as much for the additional steel cost than Elio will. The current price is about $10 per 100 lbs So, the Elio will cost about $30 more than it would before steel price goes up 30% while the Ford would go up $75. That isn't a game breaker by any stretch.

Someone check my math!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the subject of raw materials, I believe they are using Galvinized steel for frame & outside body panels. Is this correct?;)
From Momentum V67 August 2016:

Follow the link here or read below for the applicable part:
https://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-momentum-v67-august-18-2016-refinements-to-the-body-of-the-elio.7628/

That’s why we’re pleased to announce an important change in our overall vehicle strategy. The majority of the Elio body will be made of galvanized steel. The hood, the quarter panels, the roof, and the sides all will be made of steel, while a few select parts, such as the nose, will be made from Thermoplastic Olefins (TPOs) and possibly some SMC in select locations, like the wheel fairings.

Why the shift away from SMC? As we go through the E-Series build, we continue to learn. Our engineering team weighed the pros and cons of SMC versus galvanized steel and found that in order to meet several of our “must haves,” galvanized steel just made more sense.

Last edited:

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
PLUS, relatively speaking, Elio will still be cheap. They will use less steel than other cars which will also go up in price. Think about that F350 and all it's steel. Now, think about Elio and it's steel. Let's say the Elio has 1,000 of steel compared to the F350's 7,500 pounds of steel (purely a guess. Mine weighs close to 9k). Even if Elio's steel price goes up 30% while Ford's only goes up 10%, you are going to see Ford pay almost twice as much for the additional steel cost than Elio will. The current price is about $10 per 100 lbs So, the Elio will cost about $30 more than it would before steel price goes up 30% while the Ford would go up $75. That isn't a game breaker by any stretch.

Someone check my math!
I am not sure about your price of $10 per 100. Here at the Structural Steel Fabrication Plant I work at we are purchasing steel for $45 - $60 per 100 lb. That is for American material for bridges and buildings. It always seems to move around and right now it is going up.

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think the price going is really the primary problem right now.

No the price is not the problem. Getting them rolling off the assembly line is, but this thread topic is Price Increase. There are thread topics that are all over the spectrum. It is the only thing we can discuss right now.

I am really looking forward to some of the new threads like "How I got 700 miles out of one tank of fuel", or "Best Skid-pad numbers", "No problem with 6 inches of snow, but how do you keep the full wheel covers from packing up with snow and ice", "How many miles are you getting out of your Continental Tires", and my favorite, "I just hit 100,000 miles and this engine is running like new".

Go Elio

Top Bottom