• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Quick Poll. Yes, Another Poll. This One About Transmissions.

Will you be buying a manual or automatic?

• Total voters

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
CVT is my choice. Mitsubishi has highest millage ratting.

A number of people would not mind a CVT however the simple answer is that CVT's are more expensive than the AMT and will at best offer the same fuel mileage as the AMT.

Personally I would rather have the AMT, and shift it myself if necessary, or have a traditional automatic. I have driven thousands of miles in CVT equipped vehicles and absolutely hate the way they operate as in my opinion they disconnect a driver from the operation of the drivetrain.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have an inherent lack of trust in auto transmissions, all my vehicles are manual, my primary three concerns are; reliability, mileage, cost. I've had better experiences over the years with standard vehicles though they really suck when you sprain your ankle :D
True. Automatics have their place, that's for sure. The Elio will not have the same issues at old automatics though. There won't be a torque converter or valve body where you are waiting for a spring to get stuck or a ball check valve to get stuck. The Automatic Manual Transmission will have more in common with a good old stick though the computer will actuate the clutch and blip the throttle for you. However, I've heard many people say that SOME AMT's are lurchy or clunky... If the Elio was smooth, I'd consider an automatic. However, since I probably won't get to drive one first, I'll opt for the stick. I figure that there won't be much clutch effort as the car is so light. It won't be like shifting in a powerful sports car so knees and ankles won't be abused too much. Plus, it could be a kick to wring it through the gears... who knows?

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True. Automatics have their place, that's for sure. The Elio will not have the same issues at old automatics though. There won't be a torque converter or valve body where you are waiting for a spring to get stuck or a ball check valve to get stuck. The Automatic Manual Transmission will have more in common with a good old stick though the computer will actuate the clutch and blip the throttle for you. However, I've heard many people say that SOME AMT's are lurchy or clunky... If the Elio was smooth, I'd consider an automatic. However, since I probably won't get to drive one first, I'll opt for the stick. I figure that there won't be much clutch effort as the car is so light. It won't be like shifting in a powerful sports car so knees and ankles won't be abused too much. Plus, it could be a kick to wring it through the gears... who knows?
I also plan on choosing the manual; however, I am hoping that the "ride & drive" events that have been mentioned for reservation holders will occur prior to having to lock in on that choice. I would prefer to be able to experience the AMT and would consider that option if it is a good one.

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
questions about the performance of the AMT and for the rest of the vehicle as well will be answered for those who have higher reservations numbers by reports from folks with lower numbers .. :)

Jim
Yes, but the issue will be how much time between feedback from those with early deliveries (low numbers) and when you have to tell EM what options you choose for your Elio. No problem, perhaps, for those with high numbers, but we might have limited feedback by the time we have to commit one way or the other. Also, I would rather experience the AMT firsthand, if possible, instead of relying on another drivers perspective, as my perspective may be somewhat different. Hopefully there will be ample opportunity to test drive so that it won't be as much of an issue. :)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, but the issue will be how much time between feedback from those with early deliveries (low numbers) and when you have to tell EM what options you choose for your Elio. No problem, perhaps, for those with high numbers, but we might have limited feedback by the time we have to commit one way or the other. Also, I would rather experience the AMT firsthand, if possible, instead of relying on another drivers perspective, as my perspective may be somewhat different. Hopefully there will be ample opportunity to test drive so that it won't be as much of an issue. :)
I am under the impression that the ride and drive events will be with both manual and auto Elios. I sincerely hope it is done by appointment since I have to take such a long trip to get to Portland for the event. I want to try both so I will know whether I can actually work with a manual now. Espeically if it is considerably less expensive. :-) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Also, I would rather experience the AMT firsthand, if possible, instead of relying on another drivers perspective, as my perspective may be somewhat different. Hopefully there will be ample opportunity to test drive so that it won't be as much of an issue. :)

I agree that hands-on experience is certainly the best and do hope there will be ample time for test drives prior to the folks with low numbers having to submit their options list .... the simple reality is, folks with high numbers meaning 10,000/20,000/30,000 and up will certainly have a better opportunity to not only participate in a test drive but to read reports from members of this form or any number of other internet sites .... well before the time the production reaches the end of its first year, there will be early models out there that have thousands, if not tens of thousands, of miles on them .... hopefully the years of design work that have gone and will continue to go into the production models will confirm the high quality of an Elio

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately for those who need a test drive before choosing a transmission this is another example of the potential issues with jumping in on something like this so early on in the process. While I am sure EM will try to have test drive events going before most reservation holders have to make their choice the truth is that just doing the math there will be very limited time for events and a very limited number of vehicles available for the early events.

1. From the timetable we have heard EM will be actively using the E-series vehicles for hardware testing up until 3 month prior to production
2. We also know that of the 25 or so E-Series vehicles 8-10 will die in crash testing.
3. EM will very likely need a few vehicles for ongoing testing right up until the first pre-production vehicles roll off the line in Shreveport which won't happen until about 4-6 weeks before production happens.
4. EM has also told us we will likely choose our options about 60 days before our vehicles are produced.

All this tells me that, if we are lucky, roughly 12 vehicles may become available 90 days prior to production however the fist reservation holders will have to make their choices in just about 30 days. If EM begins the test drive events right away, which I hope they do, there will only be time for just a few events before the first reservation holders must make their choices and there will likely not be enough time to take this show to even a quarter of the 60 initial markets within the first few months. Hopefully EM spreads these events out geographically and limits the events to current reservation holders, with a priority given to those with early numbers, however to even have a chance at test driving these vehicles before they place an order most reservation holders will have to travel, likely out of state, to drive one.

Over time the test drive events will be able to cover more area and accommodate more people. These events will likely replace the original E-series test drive vehicles with a larger number of X-series pre-production builds coming out of Shreveport however this will likely only happen about the time production officially begins so it won't be help the early reservation holders having their vehicles built in the first 2-3 months of production.

Last edited:
Top Bottom