• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Quick Poll. Yes, Another Poll. This One About Transmissions.

Will you be buying a manual or automatic?

• Total voters

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One last point to consider on the the tranny option is the vehicle itself. For instance, both my Miata's were manual. I just can't imagine having an automatic in a fun little sports car. Kind of like an umbrella in the shower. What's the point? On the other hand can you even imagine shifting gears in a Cadillac? So IMO the kind of car it is can dictate the transmission choice. Those who will use this primarily for commuting and in stop and go traffic will probably opt for the AMT - I would. But as this will be my fun car and I'm retired I'll probably opt for the manual and screw the resale value. I'll probably never sell it anyhow.

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd personally prefer an automatic with cruise control for traffic/mpg reasons, but it remains to be seen whether i'll want to pay the upgrade cost (whatever that may be) to get a unproven AMT (unproven in the one-of-the-first-few-thousand-off-the-line sense).
I think cruise control is still optional either way. Not certain however.

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Plus, the automatic will have all those same things... Actually, the only difference in the two transmissions is who is actuating the clutch... servos or person. Other than that, they will be identical... no maintenance advantage.
Great info. Thanks.

Top Bottom