• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Riddle(s)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just because I'm lazy...and LockMD started it ;) A copy/paste from my post to the P4 pics thread.

Three traveling salesmen needed to get a motel room for the night. Business was bad, so they pooled there money to share one room. The night clerk tells them they have a vacancy in one of their $30 rooms. The salesmen say, "We'll take it!", and pony up $10 each. When the day clerk arrives he notices that the night clerk had overcharged the salesmen for the room...it should've been only $25. He gives the night clerk five ones and tells him to reimburse the salesmen. On the way to the room the night clerk can't figure out how to split the five ones three ways. "I know!", he says. "I'll keep two dollars, and give each of the salesmen one dollar each!"...and he does just that.
Here's the problem. If each salesman paid $10 each, and received $1 each back, and the night clerk kept $2, where's the missing dollar?
$30 room
$10 - $1(amount reimbursed) = $9
$9 x 3 (number of salesmen) = $27
$27 + $2 (amount clerk kept) = $29
Where's the missing dollar?

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just because I'm lazy...and LockMD started it ;) A copy/paste from my post to the P4 pics thread.

Three traveling salesmen needed to get a motel room for the night. Business was bad, so they pooled there money to share one room. The night clerk tells them they have a vacancy in one of their $30 rooms. The salesmen say, "We'll take it!", and pony up $10 each. When the day clerk arrives he notices that the night clerk had overcharged the salesmen for the room...it should've been only $25. He gives the night clerk five ones and tells him to reimburse the salesmen. On the way to the room the night clerk can't figure out how to split the five ones three ways. "I know!", he says. "I'll keep two dollars, and give each of the salesmen one dollar each!"...and he does just that.
Here's the problem. If each salesman paid $10 each, and received $1 each back, and the night clerk kept $2, where's the missing dollar?
$30 room
o_O

BrianRosenthal

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

$30 room

The last line should be:

$25 (for the room) +$3 (refunded) + $2 (tip) = $30

-Brian (who loves helping dear daughter with math)

Top Bottom