• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Riversimple, From Wales

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Compressed hydrogen travels from a pressurised tank mounted at the rear axle to hydrogen fuel cells tucked in the car’s nose.
Keep in mind that the source of the hydrogen will probably involve fossil fuels at some point.
But, there's the coolness factor, the range, and the light weight (short-term-storage super capacitors instead of batteries).
Since It'll only be available by lease, you won't have to worry about replacing the super capacitors or the hydrogen cells.
Then again, like Z already pointed out, there's the price.
Ouch.

Some of these things remind me of systems that might have been designed by Rube Goldberg.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's technically interesting, and it's good to see folks getting the ball rolling on a different way of providing a means for getting around, but there's the price...

On the hydrogen thing, the best idea I've heard so far has been a guest on Science Friday some time back, who suggested that electricity from wind and solar be used to electrolyze water to crack it to hydrogen and oxygen. He said that would solve two problems; no need for fossil fuels to produce hydrogen and it would serve as energy storage for two forms of energy production that have large "off" times.

Now, they need to talk to PE about the cost thing... ;-)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's technically interesting, and it's good to see folks getting the ball rolling on a different way of providing a means for getting around, but there's the price...

On the hydrogen thing, the best idea I've heard so far has been a guest on Science Friday some time back, who suggested that electricity from wind and solar be used to electrolyze water to crack it to hydrogen and oxygen. He said that would solve two problems; no need for fossil fuels to produce hydrogen and it would serve as energy storage for two forms of energy production that have large "off" times.

Now, they need to talk to PE about the cost thing... ;-)
I used to love Science Friday but I get lousy reception in my home and am rarely in the car on Fridays. Now that I know it is still on the air, I will have to check it out on my iPod. Thanks for mentioning it, BilgeRat. I look forward to hearing that program. :-) Z

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It looks like a copy of the Smart Fortwo. I think there was a fuel cell powered Smart Fortwo at one time. I do like the way the doors open.
p02bxw18.jpg

Top Bottom