• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Roll Cage, What A Great Way To Build

Florida Guy

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was taking a look at the P5 build pictures I could not help but notice that the way the frame is put together reminds me of a roll cage on a drag racer. Tubular steel all around and then the body panels are attached to the steel. It seems much safer than most cars on the road today. I see drag racers walk away from serious collisions at high speed because they are locked into a steel frame. Just like our Elio right? Perhaps this is why PE is so confident in a 5 star safety rating? The body may get damaged but the human cargo stays safe in the protected bubble. All this for around $6800 seems like a great value proposition to me.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I was taking a look at the P5 build pictures I could not help but notice that the way the frame is put together reminds me of a roll cage on a drag racer. Tubular steel all around and then the body panels are attached to the steel. It seems much safer than most cars on the road today. I see drag racers walk away from serious collisions at high speed because they are locked into a steel frame. Just like our Elio right? Perhaps this is why PE is so confident in a 5 star safety rating? The body may get damaged but the human cargo stays safe in the protected bubble. All this for around $6800 seems like a great value proposition to me.
In short... Yes.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Besides the P5 build pictures; have you seen the Crash Simulations Video? (The bolded & underlined text is a link, just click it)

Florida Guy

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen that simulation. In fact yesterday I got to talk to the EM folks at Barrett-Jackson in Vegas about those videos. They pointed out to me the major differences in the structure between P4 and P5. Really quiet remarkable and even safer than the P4 was going to be.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have seen that simulation. In fact yesterday I got to talk to the EM folks at Barrett-Jackson in Vegas about those videos. They pointed out to me the major differences in the structure between P4 and P5. Really quiet remarkable and even safer than the P4 was going to be.

Do tell!:pop2:

We, as a group, kind of disected the simulation noticing which parts 'seemed' beefier or altered from the original simulation. But I don't recall any "official" information.

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have not opened a message from Elio for a couple months because they always say the same thing but I looked around the blog and site and am not seeing any photos. Where are you finding photos of the P5?

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh yeah I saw those here - which by the way is the only useful place on the web to find info on the car unless you enjoy hearing the 84mpg, $6800 byline 14 times a day. Anyway I was expecting he saw photos of the frame somewhere besides just drawings.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh yeah I saw those here - which by the way is the only useful place on the web to find info on the car unless you enjoy hearing the 84mpg, $6800 byline 14 times a day. Anyway I was expecting he saw photos of the frame somewhere besides just drawings.
I think those photos are around on here as well. I just didn't have time to search for them. Good luck!

Top Bottom