• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Safety Question

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back in the late 80's, early 90's, I had a Chevy Sprint, which was a small, 3-cylinder commuter car. My wife was never a big fan, but I thought it was great (50 MPG on the highway). She was glad when I got a GEO Prizm in 95. When I showed he the Elio, she had an interesting question, which I don't think has been addressed. Suppose you have an accident and the vehicle tips over onto the left side, blocking the door. How do you get out? I suppose I invest in one of those escape hammers, but that's not the answer I want to give her? anyone thought about this?

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back in the late 80's, early 90's, I had a Chevy Sprint, which was a small, 3-cylinder commuter car. My wife was never a big fan, but I thought it was great (50 MPG on the highway). She was glad when I got a GEO Prizm in 95. When I showed he the Elio, she had an interesting question, which I don't think has been addressed. Suppose you have an accident and the vehicle tips over onto the left side, blocking the door. How do you get out? I suppose I invest in one of those escape hammers, but that's not the answer I want to give her? anyone thought about this?
I carry a carbide tipped glass breaker in all my vehicles to get out if the doors are blocked, the windows won't roll down or aren't already shattered.
A good question non the less.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

Even if you are upside down or laying to one side the windows should still work so I doubt you would have to break the glass however having a glass breaker just in case does not hurt. Another possible option would be to exit via the rear hatch.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if you are upside down or laying to one side the windows should still work so I doubt you would have to break the glass however having a glass breaker just in case does not hurt. Another possible option would be to exit via the rear hatch.
A single power window failure may stem from a failing window motor, a problem with the wiring leading to the motor, a broken window linkage or misaligned window tracks. If the electrical line relaying power to the power door system breaks or blows a fuse, all the the car's power windows fail at the same time.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
A single power window failure may stem from a failing window motor, a problem with the wiring leading to the motor, a broken window linkage or misaligned window tracks. If the electrical line relaying power to the power door system breaks or blows a fuse, all the the car's power windows fail at the same time.

The chances of being in an accident that damages or blocks the door, disables the windows, and leaves the windows intact and unbroken would be a very rare accident hence my original statement that having a glass breaking tool does not hurt anything however is not likely to be needed.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The chances of being in an accident that damages or blocks the door, disables the windows, and leaves the windows intact and unbroken would be a very rare accident hence my original statement that having a glass breaking tool does not hurt anything however is not likely to be needed.
My point. It doesn't hurt. Stuff happens.

A couple of years ago a cousin of mine her daughter and grandson were run off the road by a couple of punks drifting. The large SUV was on it's side and on fire. They could not get themselves out of the car. A passer by had a carbide tipped glass breaker and broke some glass and pulled them from the vehicle before it was fully engulfed in flames. It only takes once. Unless the fuel tank in the Elio is burst resistant you have a potential fire problem and I would not want to wait for a good samaritan. Notice I said potential. I was in the rescue business for a while and saw many one time events that no one can adequately plan for. Stuff happens.

Last edited:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just an observation with No scientific fact but how often do you hear of a car accident where the car ends up on its side? Add to that it seems like it would have to be an absolute balancing act to set the Elio on its side with the front outriggers (driving front wheels) sticking out so far.

Not that it couldn't happen, like an off-the-road rollover, but in regards to being hit & flipped more likely the Elio , as it is designed, will fold out of the way instead of flipping over............... :)

Top Bottom