• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Security Alert

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After the usual generalities, I will inquire if their name is Peter Puffer (for male callers, Petra for female), and if they don't hang up quickly, the conversation goes downhill rapidly from there. I derive greater amusement from it than I should, but hey, they called me...

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you start talking about their mothers, they'll flip out and call you every name in the book.
That's a true litmus test. Also, air horns make their day.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The best one I ever did was one evening we had just finished dinner. The man calling asked if I own my home at (my address). I said Yes. He said he was calling about storm windows. I told him we didn't have bad storms and wasn't interested. He then explained that he meant insulating windows. I told him I had stuffed fiberglass in all my windows and that worked great. He got upset and told me I shouldn't be so obstinate. I then told him that I was upset because he had insinuated that he had been out to see my house at (my address). He said, what makes you think that I haven't been out there. I told him that if he HAD been out here, he would know that I live in an experimental, underground house that has no windows. He hung up!

He started it!

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
i know it's not politically correct, but it works EVERY time ( of which there have been less and less.)
When I get a person I verbalize as if I were in a 1/2 way house with diminished mental capacity and start talking past the phone telling my other residents, that the call is for me, that he wants to be my friend, and I ask the caller if he wants to, and start "arguing" and a few times the caller says to a co-worker "you gotta hear this" after I start yelling and. calling for my counselor, they usually say, never mind, always been courteous and my calls are now down to maybe one a month- this is me also registered with the do not call registry.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday I got a call on my land line supposedly from Direct TV....

Well... THERE'S your problem. Land lines are scam magnets.

Had a guy trying to convince me to open my network so he could kill my viruses.
He said my IP address was 127.0.0.1
(Oh, honey.... you're adorable.....)
30 minutes, I confessed to having ChromeOS.
I was called names....
He hurt my feelings... :'(

Aaaaaaaaanyway.
Decrease the cross section of your online data profile.
NEVER use a real name for social media
NEVER use a real picture
NEVER use the same login/password on multiple sites (unless you really don't care)
Avoid password managers (seriously)
And use a proxy if at all possible. Especially on public WiFi.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Or, how about...NEVER use social media!

yeah, it's a cesspool wasteland.
Broke my habit a while back, but I don't expect the general population to do the same, so at least they use an assumed name.

Ever try to leave the Apple or Google ecosystem?

It's a freakin' nightmare.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
So I told him I like the virus and want to keep it. He then says that he will be forced to block my computer. I tell him go ahead, block it. He usually ends up hanging up on me. BTW, I use Malwarebytes for antivirus and have for many years. It seems to block a lot of the pop-ups pretty good.
Malwarebytes is OK especially with the latest update, but I use ESET first, along with Malwarebytes.
I know, MB is free, and ESET cost you money, but with that combo I haven't had any problems at all.
And this is for the last 10 years, got tired of Symantec hogging up most of the resources, and missing a LOT of things.
Dumped Symantec, and will not go back to them (and I do or did, computers for a living)

Top Bottom