• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seeking Autocycle Bill

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Latest: http://www.eliomotors.com/quick-start-for-governmental-affairs-1-2-15/ :)

Quick Start for Governmental Affairs 1-2-15

[Broken External Image]

Happy first Friday Elio Friends and Family! Can you believe that we are in 2015?! This is going to be a great year.

To kick of the New Year we asked the guru of Governmental Affairs, Joel Sheltrown, to give us a quick update on what is happening in the helmet and license arena in the first couple of months in 2015. True to form for his team, there is a LOT going on! Here is a top line look at what is happening:

• We will have legislation running in NE, WV, MS, MO, and NC for helmets and motorcycle license exemption. This would remove the need for helmets and special licensing.
  • We are on the agenda in ID, OK, NM, OH, IN, AR for motorcycle licensing and age specific helmet laws.
  • And in NY and AZ we are up in this session for exemption from the motorcycle endorsement.
As you can see, the Governmental Affairs team will be very busy and the year will start out with a bang. The team has many other irons in the fire also that will come to vote this year that we will discuss in the coming months.

The Preview Tour is off for the holiday weekend and will be at the CES Show in Las Vegas (Private event) next week with the P4.

Happy New Year and thanks for your support!

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Latest: http://www.eliomotors.com/quick-start-for-governmental-affairs-1-2-15/ :)

Quick Start for Governmental Affairs 1-2-15

[Broken External Image]

Happy first Friday Elio Friends and Family! Can you believe that we are in 2015?! This is going to be a great year.

To kick of the New Year we asked the guru of Governmental Affairs, Joel Sheltrown, to give us a quick update on what is happening in the helmet and license arena in the first couple of months in 2015. True to form for his team, there is a LOT going on! Here is a top line look at what is happening:

• We will have legislation running in NE, WV, MS, MO, and NC for helmets and motorcycle license exemption. This would remove the need for helmets and special licensing.
  • We are on the agenda in ID, OK, NM, OH, IN, AR for motorcycle licensing and age specific helmet laws.
  • And in NY and AZ we are up in this session for exemption from the motorcycle endorsement.
As you can see, the Governmental Affairs team will be very busy and the year will start out with a bang. The team has many other irons in the fire also that will come to vote this year that we will discuss in the coming months.

The Preview Tour is off for the holiday weekend and will be at the CES Show in Las Vegas (Private event) next week with the P4.

Happy New Year and thanks for your support!
Thank you for the information you are sharing with us. :)

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had some very helpful e-mails from Joel Sheltrown the past couple nights providing some good info and he was able to share it with the Legilslator sponsoring the autocycle bill here, and to Eric Bellavance over at DMV. I'll post a link to the bill once it's posted on the Legislature's website so anyone in the state (or where ever) can follow it's progress or participate in hearings.

I liked the definition he provided of autocycle, which is much more defined than what Maine previously described.
autocycle means a three wheeled motorcycle on which the drivers and passengers ride in a completely enclosed, tandem seating area that is equipped with airbag protection, a roll cage, 3 point safety restraints for each occupant and antilock brakes and that is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals”

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree anti lock brakes add to the cost, but do improve the safety bottom line which is clearly an important marketing aspect for EM. I'm intrigued with EM's development of brand image they're cultivating sort of a Volvo safety at a Honda moped price.
Added money vs simply 'pumping the brakes'? I'd like to drive my car instead of the car driving for me.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree anti lock brakes add to the cost, but do improve the safety bottom line which is clearly an important marketing aspect for EM. I'm intrigued with EM's development of brand image they're cultivating sort of a Volvo safety at a Honda moped price.

I do think the safety features are a well calculated part of the Elio Motors marketing strategy. EM recognizes that if they want to sell this vehicle to the masses, and not merely be a toy, they are competing against new and used vehicles which by law must be safety rated and include these safety features. About the only safety feature from cars EM does not advertise is the 2.5 MPH bumper standard.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the Editorial office of the Sun Journal (my local paper) and they will be running a Letter to the Editor I just wrote thanking Rep. Golden for sponsoring a bill for the autocycle category, and also a description of the key features of the Elio. I'll post a link when the letter is published.

Last edited:
Top Bottom