• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

devoncope

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I would have preferred the gas cap on the left as it would have made more sense as the door is on the left. Less steps equals my lazy butt is happy. However, I would be filling up the tank less often. As for running out of gas and being on the "safe side" (right side)...86 mpg, 8 gal tank, a fuel gauge, and awareness should fix that problem.

Kail

Elio Fan
Reaction score
If you want to talk about safety and sides, the gas cap is on the correct side. The door is on the wrong side. And before you say that the gear shift and e-brake are in the way, please note that the gear shift could be on the column and the e-brake could be on the floor.

JDub

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If you want to talk about safety and sides, the gas cap is on the correct side. The door is on the wrong side. And before you say that the gear shift and e-brake are in the way, please note that the gear shift could be on the column and the e-brake could be on the floor.
Prefer my 5 speed manual to be on my right side.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think Kail's point is that the shifter could be column mounted on the right side. Might seem strange at first, but it could work.
When I was learning to drive standard in the 1950s the shifter was on the column on the right side. In fact "4 on the floor" was considered a fancier, or racier improvement. LOL :-) Z

russell ramsdell

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No need to remember the gas cap. Ralphe posted this picture from Ontario.
I don't know how it works, but I won't have to worry about the cap rolling off the roof or leaving it behind on the pump. :)
2014-03-30-18-27-54-jpg.343.jpg
the center is spring loaded it pushes in when you push the gas nozzle through -had on on my old car -loved it and forgot to take it off when I sold it --fudgedragon!!!

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not silly, simply different. What do you think they think of ours? We could always ask one of our members who is a Brit. :) Z

I have just returned from my summer vacation in Turkey. I hired a stick shift car there and guess what? They drive on the wrong ( :D ) side of the road, like you do in USA. Not a problem.

I used to live in Germany, same issue. Back then I used to own a right hand drive automatic and a left hand drive stick shift and used to swap between them without hassle. I have driven cars in USA many times in the past, when I used to be required to visit twice a year due to my work commitments. I once hired a car and they offered me a stick shift at a reduced rate because I was a Brit and no-one else wanted to hire it, presumably they thought I was used to them, and I was.

As far as I'm concerned, using the other hand to change gear isn't a big problem. It feels a little odd to begin with, but you very quickly get used to it. Because you sit in the middle of an Elio, it should feel less strange than with a four wheeler.

Only issue I had last week was my wife trying to get in the driver's door ahead of me when she had no intention of driving! Mind you, she often goes to the front door of the house ahead of me and stands in the way when she knows she doesn't have a key on her....

JDub

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I have just returned from my summer vacation in Turkey. I hired a stick shift car there and guess what? They drive on the wrong ( :D ) side of the road, like you do in USA. Not a problem.

I used to live in Germany, same issue. Back then I used to own a right hand drive automatic and a left hand drive stick shift and used to swap between them without hassle. I have driven cars in USA many times in the past, when I used to be required to visit twice a year due to my work commitments. I once hired a car and they offered me a stick shift at a reduced rate because I was a Brit and no-one else wanted to hire it, presumably they thought I was used to them, and I was.

As far as I'm concerned, using the other hand to change gear isn't a big problem. It feels a little odd to begin with, but you very quickly get used to it. Because you sit in the middle of an Elio, it should feel less strange than with a four wheeler.

Only issue I had last week was my wife trying to get in the driver's door ahead of me when she had no intention of driving! Mind you, she often goes to the front door of the house ahead of me and stands in the way when she knows she doesn't have a key on her....
Business has taken me to Australia more than a dozen times and England perhaps half that driving wasn't a problem but more than a few times I stepped off the curb in front of a car do to looking the wrong direction. oops

Top Bottom