• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? You Have To Provide Your Own Water Bottle For The Windshield Washer?

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Isn't the average cheapass (like me) who they are marketing to? Additionally from what I have seen it is well established that this car's purpose it to be a utility and stand solely on its use, not be a fashion image or statement via image. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In the beginning yes, but overall they would want almost every household to have one (goal of all automakers). With that few people in America are cheap asses. Most have a ton of cc debt and living pay check to pay check. At the same time they have a brand new vehicles.

This is about sales. Its not about us cheap asses that would buy it. They don't have to market to us much. A company wants to strive to expand their market without alienating their core.

IMO the safe way would be to put the reservoir in there. It won't cost them, it will cost the buyer......about $2 extra dollars. What is that when you are spending almost $7k on something.

Also if it's sole purpose is utility, then why have door panels, spend time on a gauge cluster or the body? A pure utility vehicle is like a willy's jeep. Even people on this forum are asking about power steering and heated mirrors and other "luxury" items. Again this is all to expand the market.

mdfb42

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
In the beginning yes, but overall they would want almost every household to have one (goal of all automakers). With that few people in America are cheap asses. Most have a ton of cc debt and living pay check to pay check. At the same time they have a brand new vehicles.

This is about sales. Its not about us cheap asses that would buy it. They don't have to market to us much. A company wants to strive to expand their market without alienating their core.

IMO the safe way would be to put the reservoir in there. It won't cost them, it will cost the buyer......about $2 extra dollars. What is that when you are spending almost $7k on something.

Also if it's sole purpose is utility, then why have door panels, spend time on a gauge cluster or the body? A pure utility vehicle is like a willy's jeep. Even people on this forum are asking about power steering and heated mirrors and other "luxury" items. Again this is all to expand the market.
Don't take utility vehicle to the end all be all. I said it in a different thread. View this as a Honda Goldwing type venture. You can have your basics and then you have thousands of options to personalize as you please. Therefore making your statement about wasting time and talking about willys jeep irrelevant, sorry. Need to also remeber we are first to the party. Just like anything else, let's use the iPhone for example. Put out the best they can but know there will be improvements on the next model based on customer feedback. Perk of being first in line is the vice as well. Get it day one but have to deal with day one issues

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't take utility vehicle to the end all be all. I said it in a different thread. View this as a Honda Goldwing type venture. You can have your basics and then you have thousands of options to personalize as you please. Therefore making your statement about wasting time and talking about willys jeep irrelevant, sorry. Need to also remeber we are first to the party. Just like anything else, let's use the iPhone for example. Put out the best they can but know there will be improvements on the next model based on customer feedback. Perk of being first in line is the vice as well. Get it day one but have to deal with day one issues

So a water bottle as the reservoir is currently "the best they can". Yes the first of anything always tends to be the worst.

I think if/when it gets built, there will be a reservoir. It isn't a hard part, rare part, expensive to make. Just find a supplier who is already making a mass amount of ones of a different car and put them on the Elio....Probably wouldn't even cost them $1 to add on.

Just my opinion. Everyone has them. I just think the water bottle thing is hear say. Again, it wouldn't bother me at all if they used it, but I just think it would possibly turn potential buyers off.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Who actually needs a windshield washer anyway? Mine has been broken for 8 of the 10 years on my current car and I have yet to be inconvenienced enough to fix it.
I sure would hate to see the condition of your windshield. You must have at least as many bugs in NC as we do in OR. At least you did when I lived in Raleigh in the early 1960's. :-) Z

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sure would hate to see the condition of your windshield. You must have at least as many bugs in NC as we do in OR. At least you did when I lived in Raleigh in the early 1960's. :) Z

Just clean it off when you get gas.

The washer is nice in snowy areas when you get the slush on your windshield. In terms of bugs, I don't risk using the wipers....sometimes a small mess turns into a bigger one.

mdfb42

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Just clean it off when you get gas.

The washer is nice in snowy areas when you get the slush on your windshield. In terms of bugs, I don't risk using the wipers....sometimes a small mess turns into a bigger one.
That's fine for normal cars. But when we are talking 650 miles between filling up, that'd be hard for me

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
That's fine for normal cars. But when we are talking 650 miles between filling up, that'd be hard for me
That's really not much more than the range of a normal car on a single larger tank of gas. A few weeks ago I traveled from NC to Niagara Falls and only refilled the tank once at 50% empty.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Who actually needs a windshield washer anyway? Mine has been broken for 8 of the 10 years on my current car and I have yet to be inconvenienced enough to fix it.
Come up north and you'll get it fixed quick. Summer nights mean bugs the size of small helicopters committing hari kari all over the windshield, and the rest of the year is spray from road salt, sand, etc.

I average probably a gallon a month.

For the record, I'm good with using the container as a reservoir. It will need to fit both round and square base jugs though.

Top Bottom