• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Setting Expectations?

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I’m trying to determine what I should reasonably expect it will be like to actually own and use an Elio in reality, for me personally. YMMV. The single-seat width cabin and outrigger wheels are a significant departure from conventional vehicles and present their own advantages and drawbacks. To my gearhead sensibilities it’s been a fun ride watching the Elio develop and come to market, but soon we should have the opportunity to really bring one home and actually own and use it. What will that experience be like? I already own two other 2 seater fun cars so justifying this to the Boss – I just know she will make me sell 1 or both of the others as a bargaining chip to justify its purchase.

I am going to love the $20 fill-ups that last for 600+ miles.

The Boss has claustrophobia so its not likely she will ever ride in the backseat – thus for me I think the Elio is viable as a single seat vehicle except on rare occasions. I can see it being used for solo trips and errands around town, commuting (my commute is short). A solo long distance trip for me is rare, so highway trips will be infrequent. Its clear that I would need to use a conventional car/truck for 2 or more people and for most long distance journeys.

Cargo capacity is very limited so that I cannot go to ‘orange’ or ‘blue’ and get 10 foot pipes or lumber or insulation bales or potted plants, or bags of mulch or even more than a sack or two of groceries. (Hey there’s an idea – how about a lumber rack/roof cargo accessory!) Its clear that I would need to use a conventional car/truck for any task involving even moderate sized cargo.

The outrigger wheels are a bit of a safety concern. I am a capable/experienced driver but how much retraining will I need as a driver to get used to the outrigger wheels? Will I hit stuff with them? Bigger concern: will others hit my wheels – especially passing cars and motorbikes on the highway, even cyclists or pedestrians walking alongside in a parking lot - because they are not anticipated? I cannot see the outrigger wheels on the production Elio not having lights/reflectors for safety.

Elio power:weight ratio is about the same as my other fun cars – I suspect that the Elio will be a small, lightweight, nimble vehicle to drive, no concerns there really. Not expecting a big block muscle car experience – I am OK with that.

What about how others may come to perceive/reference the Elio? Will it earn or get tagged with a ubiquitous deprecating reference like “slug bug”, “tricycle car” or “popsicle rocket”? I think the Elio will get lots of attention given its styling and persona. I am a modest person and don't need or want the attention. Not that I care too much about others perceptions or opinions, but it is a consideration.

So how much do I need/want a vehicle that is insanely economical, only really useful for solo trips/errands/short jaunts around town, when I don't need to haul much of anything?

Opinions? Additional thoughts? What is your situation?

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
So I’m trying to determine what I should reasonably expect it will be like to actually own and use an Elio in reality, for me personally. YMMV. The single-seat width cabin and outrigger wheels are a significant departure from conventional vehicles and present their own advantages and drawbacks. To my gearhead sensibilities it’s been a fun ride watching the Elio develop and come to market, but soon we should have the opportunity to really bring one home and actually own and use it. What will that experience be like? I already own two other 2 seater fun cars so justifying this to the Boss – I just know she will make me sell 1 or both of the others as a bargaining chip to justify its purchase.

I am going to love the $20 fill-ups that last for 600+ miles.

The Boss has claustrophobia so its not likely she will ever ride in the backseat – thus for me I think the Elio is viable as a single seat vehicle except on rare occasions. I can see it being used for solo trips and errands around town, commuting (my commute is short). A solo long distance trip for me is rare, so highway trips will be infrequent. Its clear that I would need to use a conventional car/truck for 2 or more people and for most long distance journeys.

Cargo capacity is very limited so that I cannot go to ‘orange’ or ‘blue’ and get 10 foot pipes or lumber or insulation bales or potted plants, or bags of mulch or even more than a sack or two of groceries. (Hey there’s an idea – how about a lumber rack/roof cargo accessory!) Its clear that I would need to use a conventional car/truck for any task involving even moderate sized cargo.

The outrigger wheels are a bit of a safety concern. I am a capable/experienced driver but how much retraining will I need as a driver to get used to the outrigger wheels? Will I hit stuff with them? Bigger concern: will others hit my wheels – especially passing cars and motorbikes on the highway, even cyclists or pedestrians walking alongside in a parking lot - because they are not anticipated? I cannot see the outrigger wheels on the production Elio not having lights/reflectors for safety.

Elio power:weight ratio is about the same as my other fun cars – I suspect that the Elio will be a small, lightweight, nimble vehicle to drive, no concerns there really. Not expecting a big block muscle car experience – I am OK with that.

What about how others may come to perceive/reference the Elio? Will it earn or get tagged with a ubiquitous deprecating reference like “slug bug”, “tricycle car” or “popsicle rocket”? I think the Elio will get lots of attention given its styling and persona. I am a modest person and don't need or want the attention. Not that I care too much about others perceptions or opinions, but it is a consideration.

So how much do I need/want a vehicle that is insanely economical, only really useful for solo trips/errands/short jaunts around town, when I don't need to haul much of anything?

Opinions? Additional thoughts? What is your situation?
From reading this list I feel you might just be over thinking it. There are other vehicles that have the 2 in front one in rear configuration (Polaris CanAm) so you could go take a test drive on those, but it won't be the same except the 3 wheel layout. Compare it to another car? Really can't.
No one outside of the people at EM and a few media people have driven one; so we could all guess, but never know exactly. Personally I have an idea what it will be like, but it's not going to be the same for anyone else as it is to me, and vice versa. It's a very personal button it will push for each owner. Have faith in yourself and enjoy it for what it is; a new form of transportation.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Definitely a fan and not a hater, may buy one at this point. I own a EM T-shirt! Just trying to be realistic and recognize/appreciate it for what it is and is not, and whether or not it meets my personal needs. Others may have different viewpoints, which I am interested in hearing.

+++ (These needs may satisfy most of my use - still evaluating)
Appropriate for solo use, close to home
Ultra economical
Fun driver, great styling

- - - (These needs cannot be overlooked but may be satisfied by the standard car - still evaluating)
Limited cargo capacity
Safety concerns about outrigger wheels
Long trips - solo only

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Definitely a fan and not a hater, may buy one at this point. I own a EM T-shirt! Just trying to be realistic and recognize/appreciate it for what it is and is not, and whether or not it meets my personal needs. Others may have different viewpoints, which I am interested in hearing.

+++ (These needs may satisfy most of my use - still evaluating)
Appropriate for solo use, close to home
Ultra economical
Fun driver, great styling

- - - (These needs cannot be overlooked but may be satisfied by the standard car - still evaluating)
Limited cargo capacity
Safety concerns about outrigger wheels
Long trips - solo only

The front wheels are not "outriggers".
They are roughly the same as the front suspension I had on my '67 Camaro or my '67 Pontiac Tempest.
The difference is that they aren't covered by sheet metal.

Outrigger definition:
a framework extended outboard from the side of a boat, especially, as in South Pacific canoes, supporting a float that gives stability.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I too wonder a bit about the offset wheels -- I like the term outriggers for them, very descriptive. It's the exposure that makes them seem strange (and vulnerable). But if you're a modest man who doesn't seek attention -- you're in trouble! Until there are a million or two of them on the road, the Elio will stand out like a stripper in church -- you WILL be the center of attention, like it or not!

Someone came up with the idea of putting a sign on the car saying "I'm an Elio.Eliomotors.com" -- but that's a little tough to do since the car is non-magnetic. But be sure of one thing -- you will be stopped, questioned, applauded, laughed at, even pulled over by curious cops for a year or two until the novelty wears off.

Introverts are at risk driving an Elio!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I too wonder a bit about the offset wheels -- I like the term outriggers for them, very descriptive. It's the exposure that makes them seem strange (and vulnerable). But if you're a modest man who doesn't seek attention -- you're in trouble! Until there are a million or two of them on the road, the Elio will stand out like a stripper in church -- you WILL be the center of attention, like it or not!

Someone came up with the idea of putting a sign on the car saying "I'm an Elio.Eliomotors.com" -- but that's a little tough to do since the car is non-magnetic. But be sure of one thing -- you will be stopped, questioned, applauded, laughed at, even pulled over by curious cops for a year or two until the novelty wears off.

Introverts are at risk driving an Elio!
I planned on making a weatherproof sheet that I can attach to the hatch panel so when it's parked or in traffic (like stopped at a light) you'd be able to read a little bit about it like Name, MPG, Seats 2 ,Starting at price, EM web address and whatever else I can fit in a readable font.
As for shy and my name in the same sentence, it's not something you hear too often. ;)

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Point of view is everything in the Elio. As an old biker I think of it in motorcycle terms. Since it's poring rain should I take the Gold Wing or the Elio. I'm 65 and really not into getting soaked to the skin so the choice is obvious. Same thing when it's 15° and snowing or 98° with 85% humidity. If you stop thinking of the Elio as so much less than a car and start to think of it as so much more than a motorcycle it really starts to make sense. It's not a limited small car but the most versatile touring bike ever. Add in the projected 80 mpg (about twice what most big touring bikes get) and you really just sit back and say WOW.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, it really sits in that middle ground between motorcycle and compact car and beats both on price and fuel efficiency. I had been conconsidering getting a motorcycle of some sort to ride to work, but it wouldn't have saved me much besides time (HOV lane access) and that wasn't a good enough trade against the reduced safety. The Elio is perfect in that regard, more than all of the benefits with none of the downsides and at a similar price. That's what got me excited about what EM is trying to do (yes, I get excited over cost efficiency. What of it?). I can't wait to see the day when I'm accompanied on my commute to work by thousands of efficient trikes like the Elio instead of trucks, SUVs and large cars that are just hauling their own driver. The potential impact on the economy is staggering.

Just to give some perspective, the first 12 months of full production rate (~250k Elios) will end up generating ~$2 Billion in net savings to Elio buyers, assuming the average vehicle life is 200k miles and gas prices stay below $3/gal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom