• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

"skinny" Tires??

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That video shows an Elio driving over a well plowed road. I am talking about trying to forge a path through 12 inches of snow. This is all conjecture on everybody lambasting me about how great the Elio will handle with skinny tires, seeing that none of you have ever actually driven it in deep snow. I do plan to get the fenders with wider wheels on the front. Wider to me equates to more stability and better grip/surface area on the pavement. Everyone will have differing views on this. To each his own.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That video shows an Elio driving over a well plowed road. I am talking about trying to forge a path through 12 inches of snow. This is all conjecture on everybody lambasting me about how great the Elio will handle with skinny tires, seeing that none of you have ever actually driven it in deep snow. I do plan to get the fenders with wider wheels on the front. Wider to me equates to more stability and better grip/surface area on the pavement. Everyone will have differing views on this. To each his own.

Physics doesn't have different views.
The tire size, pressure, material, and tread are balanced with price.
With a 1250-1300lb vehicle, a 135 wide front tire will be sufficient for all weather use.
All of this is calculated by the Elio and the tire experts, I.E. the manufacturer.

If you think that you know more than they do, then good luck being a test pilot.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup.
Booboo, how much did that GMC 4x4 weigh? 5,000+ pounds? and 4 wheel drive
And how much does an Elio weigh? 1,250? Front wheel drive.
Ever drive an early VW Beetle in the snow? (Not the new Audi Beetle)
Exactly. All of 5,000 lbs, and big V8 horsepower. The point is the ELIO was not designed as a snow machine.
Snow driving is special, so special equipment required.
MPG driving is special, so special equipment required.
The ELIO is amazing MPG special equipment.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
And soon as you do, kiss your warranty good bye.
Sorry, I want that full three years free repairs. After that, the rules change.

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I grew up driving in the snow in Canada and the skinny 165R15 on my volvo's worked pretty darn good. The skinny tires don't have to push as much snow out of the way and they have better contact pressure. Same as on the Salt Flats. With the coefficient of friction reduced, you have to compensate by increasing the contact pressure. I think you will find pretty good results with the skinny tires on both the snow and on the pavement. Wider gummy tires could help the high speed cornering, but the Elio is not really a high speed cornering car. I think it should be pretty good though. I look forward to trying it out in the snow, the pavement, the rain and wherever I can go with it. The middle rear non-driven tire is going to be a problem in deep snow and not having a track to run in I think. Can't wait to see how Rousch and Continental tuned the tires and suspension. If anyone can optimize it I think they can.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
There is one point that I think most have missed; how often do you have fresh unpacked powered snow vs. packed down snow on the majority of streets and roads?
The Elio is not designed to be a snowmobile; it's a commuter vehicle.
So what roads is it going to be used on? Yes, the regular lines people commute on.

Good article

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/03/25/tall-and-skinny-tires-next-big-thing/

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup.
Booboo, how much did that GMC 4x4 weigh? 5,000+ pounds? and 4 wheel drive
And how much does an Elio weigh? 1,250? Front wheel drive.
Also, a lot of those "Giant balloon tires" have tread similar to the back tires on large John Deere farm tractors.

No basis for comparison.

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not trying to lambaste anyone. We are all looking forward to driving the Elio. My experience with the narrow tires on a light car was good in the snow in Canada. We had another 8 inches of snow yesterday here in Utah. My wider tires on my Caravan, don't work too great in the snow either. My 1999 Mustang V6, even worse. They break loose on the front and rear, without any notice. I will report back on snow driving in Utah when I get my Elio. Not trying to attack anyone. Sorry if it came out that way.

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Physics doesn't have different views.
The tire size, pressure, material, and tread are balanced with price.
With a 1250-1300lb vehicle, a 135 wide front tire will be sufficient for all weather use.
All of this is calculated by the Elio and the tire experts, I.E. the manufacturer.

If you think that you know more than they do, then good luck being a test pilot.
When I drive by and see you in the ditch spinning away, I will politely wave.

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I drive by and see you in the ditch spinning away, I will politely wave.
How do you equate skinny tires being better at anything other than lighter weight and less drag? Ever try riding a road bicycle through sand? Those skinny tires offer no traction and you get bogged down. Now, try riding through that same sand on a mountain bike or wide tired bicycle. You can ride right through with no difficulty. The skinny tires on the Elio will have an advantage only on smooth clear pavement. Anything else, look out!

Top Bottom