• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Skip The Stores, Let Costco Sell And Service 'em!

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm revising this old thread because I was at a Costco this afternoon and it made me start thinking.....

There they were, all gathered around a car in the store (right between the service counter and the snack bar, near the entrance). I figured it must be something special to draw so many lookers. Wrong! It was a Lincoln, 4 door sedan. Nice car, but nothing to get excited about. So the wheels started turning (mine). If a common American sedan can get this much attention, how much would an Elio get? Costco customers are by nature price conscious and bargain hunters. They are shopping Costco because they're interested in saving money.

The Costco I was in was in Katy, Texas, a suburb of Houston and about 25 miles from downtown. I'm sure thousand of Katy residents drive 50 or more miles to and from work every day. Isn't this what the Elio is designed for. Put one where the Lincoln is; place an ad for them by the gas pumps and in the service area and sell them at the service desk. Sounds like a winner to me.

Maybe with some negotiating, diplomacy, begging and pleading, Paul could even get Costo to help finance production for a share and maybe an exclusive.

JUST DO SOMETHING! I WANT MY DAMN CAR!

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm revising this old thread because I was at a Costco this afternoon and it made me start thinking.....

There they were, all gathered around a car in the store (right between the service counter and the snack bar, near the entrance). I figured it must be something special to draw so many lookers. Wrong! It was a Lincoln, 4 door sedan. Nice car, but nothing to get excited about. So the wheels started turning (mine). If a common American sedan can get this much attention, how much would an Elio get? Costco customers are by nature price conscious and bargain hunters. They are shopping Costco because they're interested in saving money.

The Costco I was in was in Katy, Texas, a suburb of Houston and about 25 miles from downtown. I'm sure thousand of Katy residents drive 50 or more miles to and from work every day. Isn't this what the Elio is designed for. Put one where the Lincoln is; place an ad for them by the gas pumps and in the service area and sell them at the service desk. Sounds like a winner to me.

Maybe with some negotiating, diplomacy, begging and pleading, Paul could even get Costo to help finance production for a share and maybe an exclusive.

JUST DO SOMETHING! I WANT MY DAMN CAR!
Would COSTCO have to have a dealer's license in some states?

Perhaps mail-order cars.

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder...couldn't Costco operate as a sales point + marshalling center? They could have racks of Elios stacked to the ceiling, and just pull one down with a forklift and plug on the options right then and there. That'd be a sight to see!
Could be in a shipping crate like they do tractors and costco put on the wheels and accessory's.

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Although, if you know how dealers make money, you can really work some good deals. One of the best tricks is to act like you want to finance it through the dealer and then pay cash as soon as the contract is signed*. They're often willing to take a loss up front if they think they'll make it back in financing.

* but be sure to read the contract carefully. Sometimes they try to sneak in crap like early payment penalty clauses.
They also try to sneak in crap at the finance dept like engraved security numbers on the windows for $500, Caught town East ford in Mesquite doing that several years ago. Financing at a credit union make you a good deal also.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would COSTCO have to have a dealer's license in some states?
Yes. In order to sell cars in Ohio, at least, you have to have a dealer's license. That comes with several requirements. It includes many things, including: having service facilities on site (or at a minimum at a nearby location), having state licensed mechanics on staff, showroom square footage, insurance, frontage, signage, telephone lines, etc. You can't just say "I'm a dealer", and then start selling cars.

Perhaps mail-order cars.
Offering them for sale to people residing in a state makes you a dealer in that state, which means you need to meet the requirements for being a dealer.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The idea of EM leasing COSTCO 'kiosk style' Elio Store space was discussed years ago. Direct to consumer sales model, a test drive Elio available, and manned by EM employees. There are many local vendors that display various products in their regional COSTCO store locations.

Top Bottom