• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

So Much For Plans...

Uncle Charlie

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
My plan was to buy an Elio and keep the old pickup around for when I needed a pickup for what a pickup can do. The old pickup still runs, but the next repair may be more expensive than the pickup is worth. So I bought the single most fuel efficient vehicle I could find... a Toyota Tundra (that's said with tongue squarely planted in cheek if you know nothing of pickups). On the upside, if we ever do get our Elios, I can probably throw it in the back of this pickup and just carry it home. newtoyota.jpg

Burg

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
We are in the same boat. I have an old pickup as well. I had planned to retire it in 2014-15 and replace it with the Elio. Well, That didn't happen in 14....15....16....or 17....OR 18! Here is the kick in the head, due to being displaced from our home because of an unnatural event, we were asked to document and submit all fuel expenses for the past 8 months by our insurance company. We did that. Mind you, our commute only changed a few miles from the norm but it turns out I could have bought one Elio with the gas money from my other car. In other words, had Elio built a car when they first said they would, I could have bought 6 by now with my fuel savings. Would I have bought six? Probably not. Maybe 3 though. So I would bet( speculate ) that again, if Elio had built a successful car by 2012, the 2018 model would have been the Elio EV. Or the EvLIo. Instead, I bought a $1k T-shirt and bumper sticker. Sweet!:p:rolleyes:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
You know, it's easy to lose faith in something, it's hard to trust in something that you can't put your hand on.
But that's what has to happen, you have to believe it will happen; When? Well that's the hard part.
If it was easy, anyone could have done it, and then fade away after they get your money, and leave you with junk.
If it was easy, would you still believe in it?

Burg

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Easy is a matter of perspective. Seeing as there are at least a half dozen legitimate three wheel auto manufactures on the market today, probably more, with probably half of them actually producing vehicles and comparing that to 2000, 2005, 2010, 2015, and today, I would say yeah, its getting easy if its what you do for a living. For me, not so much. How many go to market and for what reasons they don't is a different discussion. We shouldn't confuse losing faith with losing confidence though.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not a question of faith, it's a question of economics. There's no logic in sinking $2000 into a vehicle that's worth less. I am still hopeful of getting an Elio someday. In the meantime, I need something reliable to drive.
Understood; I just bought a 2017 Dodge Journey for $22K. Nice ride, V6, seats 7, air, cruise, and none of those dummy driver aids.
Sweet ride. And yes, I'm retired, but know how to be smart with my money.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I totally get it. I was really hoping my Kia Sorento would hold out until I got my Elio. Then the Sorento would only get a little use on the weekends with the family and last a lot longer. BUT, I have to get a new vehicle a little under 2 years ago (2106 Ford Explorer). Love the Explorer, but sill holding out hope for the Elio.

Top Bottom