• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sold A Real Gem

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
its often said that the happiest two days in a boat owner's life is the day he buys a boat and sometime later the day he sells it .... on 11-30-2009 we signed the papers on our first and hopefully last electric street use vehicle .... at that time the feds mistakenly included low speed electric vehicles in huge tax credit which made it almost impossible for us not to trade our 10 year old EZGO custom golf cart ..... we bought a GEM e2 ===> link <=== over the years we towed it behind our camper places like Myrtle Beach, Chesapeake Bay, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Missouri .... today we sold it and can honestly say that for us the analogy of owning a boat applied to our GEM .... towing it down the road, it proved to be an impressive rig

100519 001a Our Rig.jpg

it was nice once we were setup in a campground to be able to use it to for local driving .... needless to say, it was much cheaper to operate than our truck ..:) ..

100525 001j13 Pla Mor CG.jpg

considering we owned it for 5 years, we actually used it very little .... hence the reason to let it go due to the big tax credit, we actually sold it for several thousand dollars more than we had in it, don't know that I can say that about any other vehicle I've ever owned ..:cool:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
kind words appreciated .... a blue light in NC where towing 2 trailers isn't legal brought an end to us taking the GEM car with us .... with an Elio, there will be times my wife will follow driving it so that we will have it available to run around in between travel days .... that wasn't an option with the GEM car

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
its often said that the happiest two days in a boat owner's life is the day he buys a boat and sometime later the day he sells it .... on 11-30-2009 we signed the papers on our first and hopefully last electric street use vehicle .... at that time the feds mistakenly included low speed electric vehicles in huge tax credit which made it almost impossible for us not to trade our 10 year old EZGO custom golf cart ..... we bought a GEM e2 ===> link <=== over the years we towed it behind our camper places like Myrtle Beach, Chesapeake Bay, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Missouri .... today we sold it and can honestly say that for us the analogy of owning a boat applied to our GEM .... towing it down the road, it proved to be an impressive rig

View attachment 4777

it was nice once we were setup in a campground to be able to use it to for local driving .... needless to say, it was much cheaper to operate than our truck ..:) ..

View attachment 4778

considering we owned it for 5 years, we actually used it very little .... hence the reason to let it go due to the big tax credit, we actually sold it for several thousand dollars more than we had in it, don't know that I can say that about any other vehicle I've ever owned ..:cool:
Great looking rig. We had a 32' 5th wheel with two slideouts which we towed with a Ford F-250 for about 5 years. We traveled throughout the western states. Really enjoyed the summers along the Pacific coast from Southern California to Southern Washington We loved it but when we moved to New Mexico there was no place on our property to park it. Rented a space in a RV storage lot for a couple of years but that became a pain in the a-- so we sold both the truck and the rig.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Great looking rig. We had a 32' 5th wheel with two slideouts which we towed with a Ford F-250 for about 5 years. We traveled throughout the western states. Really enjoyed the summers along the Pacific coast from Southern California to Southern Washington We loved it but when we moved to New Mexico there was no place on our property to park it. Rented a space in a RV storage lot for a couple of years but that became a pain in the a-- so we sold both the truck and the rig.

compliments appreciated .... we've been using our 5th wheel since Halloween of '05 and picked up the truck in July of '07 .... the truck has over 120K miles on it and the camper has considerably more than that .... we've been fortunate to be able to visit all of the lower 48 states .... 10 years ago we made a 10,000+ mile trip that took us from ocean to ocean and border to border .... we hope to be able to take one more trip like than in mid 2016 or 2017 .... the Oregon coastal highway is a beautiful drive (its way up there on our Go Back To List), I'd love to drive it in an Elio but I seriously doubt ours will ever get past the Mississippi

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
compliments appreciated .... we've been using our 5th wheel since Halloween of '05 and picked up the truck in July of '07 .... the truck has over 120K miles on it and the camper has considerably more than that .... we've been fortunate to be able to visit all of the lower 48 states .... 10 years ago we made a 10,000+ mile trip that took us from ocean to ocean and border to border .... we hope to be able to take one more trip like than in mid 2016 or 2017 .... the Oregon coastal highway is a beautiful drive (its way up there on our Go Back To List), I'd love to drive it in an Elio but I seriously doubt ours will ever get past the Mississippi
Pacific Coast Highway (Highway 1) is a stunning drive and should be especially enjoyable in the Elio.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not easy backing that rig up.

not easy, indeed .... if you need to back up more than a very few feet, you have to unhook the GEM car trailer .... when we would pull into a campground, we would unload the GEM car and then unhook the trailer .... I'd drive the truck and camper to our site and park it .... my wife would use the GEM car to pull its trailer to wherever it would be parked .... it was pretty simple system that didn't take all that long to accomplish

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Pacific Coast Highway (Highway 1) is a stunning drive and should be especially enjoyable in the Elio.

we haven't run that road ... the coastal highway we traveled in Oregon was number 101 .... unlike the east coast, that section of the west coast is pretty much undeveloped .... the views overlooking the ocean on the entire 100 +/- mile drive on 101 are remarkable

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 4777

View attachment 4778

The pic begs the question- what's your mpg on the road w/ all that.?
thanks

Top Bottom