• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Solo

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the main issue was the price. I mean what is a half sized city car that fits only one person worth to you? No sportiness involved?

I think $15k is about as much you can go and generate any wide appeal. $19k was a bit too much.
The red one around here is still on the roads.

I read a study about 7 or 8 years ago covering all non essential personal use vehicles, and at the time, $15,000 (not purchase price, but purchase and costs over 1 year) was the point where sales dramatically dropped off, be it motorcycles, kit planes, kit cars, snowmobiles, jetskis etc.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the main issue was the price. I mean what is a half sized city car that fits only one person worth to you? No sportiness involved?

I think $15k is about as much you can go and generate any wide appeal. $19k was a bit too much.
The red one around here is still on the roads.
I was just confused by the company itself. They seemed to not have a consistent plan. Build in Canada, then contract out in China then all of a sudden, go to Phoenix. They changed lots of upper management and then all of a sudden, wanted to buy back all of the cars? How in the world do you think running a business will work? It seems like they just went from the Solo to just selling themselves as a contract manufacturer. Honestly, it's just a warehouse. Are they expecting some big company to use them? I wouldn't because they seem to never make up their mind. Maybe they are waiting for Aptera to call them and have them build their thing? Maybe just make it a hub for delayed three wheelers companies. Nimbus, Elio, Arcimoto, Solo and Aptera. A consortium. Like Airbus, but the Airbus for three wheelers.

dbacksfan81

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
JMO, the Solo was a niche car, inside of a niche market. The 3 wheeled market, to me, has always been a small market but there were/are buyers out there. The Solo might be a good second car for a married couple with no kids, or a and car for a single person that already has a regular vehicle for real trips out of town, taking the dog to the vet.

I think the buyback that ElectraMeccanica did with the Solo was the right thing to do, but it also, I think, ended the Solo. Having them say "Your car may lose propulsion without warning, and while other systems will work, your car will come to a stop, and may restart after a period of time, and we have no fix for it" would stop me from considering one.

https://www.emvauto.com/solo

It sounds like Xos is buying up manufacturing equipment in the deal, there's not much else there.

Top Bottom