• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Solo

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Solo is no more, it has been canned.

Bicycles are the only single seat vehicle to have ever succeeded, and one of the reasons is you can ride along with a friend chatting. Single seat motorcycles, planes, cars, etc have never had successful sales. They never learn.

I seen that too.. They better call Paul as he's in the area and can get them started on his three wheeler. His gives 84 mpg and only costs $7450. That beats everything including Teslas. I know, as I read the specs on the internet, thus it's true.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I seen that too..

Just a wrong vehicle. I would like to have a fling in it around the block, but own it? No thanks.

I have no idea why people think a single seater will work, numerous attempts have been made, and I admit it seems logical, but no one wants one. I even remember one guy at our golf club years ago had a single seat golf buggy, he got rid of it in short time, looked stupid and no one wanted to play with him, eg; anti-social vehicle.

And then there's the chronically idiotic name, I'm going to copy and paste it; ElectraMeccanica, because I couldn't be bothered to try to spell it, and barely an idea how it's pronounced. What were they thinking? Reminds me when I took my, at the time, teenage daughter to a major car show, and I asked her if she wanted to look at the Ssanyong stand, and she said "Nope, not interested in a car that I can't pronounce it's name". Branding is important.

5 x CEOs since 2019, very strange.

Inventory of "800 cars", it would seem they weren't selling.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Solo is no more, it has been canned.

Bicycles are the only single seat vehicle to have ever succeeded, and one of the reasons is you can ride along with a friend chatting. Single seat motorcycles, planes, cars, etc have never had successful sales. They never learn.

Good find! Well, they've got 800 units to dispose off/sell as a memento but first they need to resolve that loss-of-power malfunction......or it'll be mothballed! If they sell it for dirt-cheap, I wouldn't mind picking up one and convert it to a 3cyl. ICE. With your experience Mark, do you think it's doable?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good find! Well, they've got 800 units to dispose off/sell as a memento but first they need to resolve that loss-of-power malfunction......or it'll be mothballed! If they sell it for dirt-cheap, I wouldn't mind picking up one and convert it to a 3cyl. ICE. With your experience Mark, do you think it's doable?

Nope. Major surgery.

IF the front panels were all removable, it would be a case of moving all the ancillaries, cutting the existing front chassis off, and building your own custom front subframe to accept say a complete Mitsubishi Mirage FWD unit (from a wreck with it's title to get it registered).

Then relocating the ancillaries, and remounting the front panels. Not quite a weekend's job ...

There MIGHT be just enough room to squeeze a 54hp, Suzuki Burgman 650 CVT in the rear.

Why would anyone name a motorcycle "Burgman"?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nope. Major surgery.
Very major. But you would get a complete body with working doors.
I think putting a new EV drive under it involving a new chassis (or sub-chassis) could work. But make no mistake, you are building most of a car, then plopping a body on top.

But don't underestimate what a well sealed body takes to do. But replacement parts? That might be the one that kills it. Other DIY project types benefit from ready donor parts, and the Solo may not have any into the future. Where would you get a replacement windshield? You can, but it's costly to go custom.

I notice that they are considering the 4 wheel EV market. Would this be an ecconomy model? Or and upscale? A city-car, sport or flagship model? Curious.

Yes, Solo was a bad idea. But a threshold price point probably came into play. It needed to be much cheaper at least.

IMHO, it could be more interesting as a sporty build (and now with room for a rumble seat!);
1678906032640.png

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why would anyone name a motorcycle "Burgman"?
I remember the first time I seen a Renault Logan in Mexico. I asked myself, "Why did that guy put his name on the rear of the car and do such a good job at it?" After seeing more, I determined that someone decided at Renault that was a good name for a cheap Mexican sedan. Last year I even rented a Renault KWID and then looked it up for the price, that thing today comes out to $12K USD. It's definately cheap and not fast but for the price, gets the job done.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a wrong vehicle. I would like to have a fling in it around the block, but own it? No thanks.

I have no idea why people think a single seater will work, numerous attempts have been made, and I admit it seems logical, but no one wants one. I even remember one guy at our golf club years ago had a single seat golf buggy, he got rid of it in short time, looked stupid and no one wanted to play with him, eg; anti-social vehicle.

And then there's the chronically idiotic name, I'm going to copy and paste it; ElectraMeccanica, because I couldn't be bothered to try to spell it, and barely an idea how it's pronounced. What were they thinking? Reminds me when I took my, at the time, teenage daughter to a major car show, and I asked her if she wanted to look at the Ssanyong stand, and she said "Nope, not interested in a car that I can't pronounce it's name". Branding is important.

5 x CEOs since 2019, very strange.

Inventory of "800 cars", it would seem they weren't selling.
Lol that says it all about single seaters, they're anti-social! There's inherent "balance" in pair that started with Adam and Eve.

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that along with being a single seater only, from the pictures it appears to be on the small side. Were I live you can't get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time without utilizing the interstate system. And a LOT of large trucks come through here heading South, and towards Atlanta, GA. People will push you out of the way no matter what lane you are in if you aren't going 80+ MPH around here. Mostly visibility to other drivers was the biggest concern to me with the Solo. I know the same thing can be said with a standard motorcycle, but at least they are highly maneuverable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom