• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Somewhat Tough Questions...

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
i use bold dark cause it is easiest to see without my reading glasses

same with spacing

LOL, gotta give you a hard time here EZ ... if your main goal is to make your post so that you can read it, but none of the rest of us can, THAT would be, many things on

MANY

LEVELS!!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The best I can tell the government couldn't care less if the car is roadworthy as long as it has the lights, mirrors, "equipment" required in the DOT regs, As long as the stuff is there and the fees are paid , it's good to go. On my son's bike, the mirrors were there ,but were useless unless ou wanted to see if our elbow was still there! The instrument display equally useless. Now , I really don't think Paul Elio is going thru all this work and pain to put something out that is not on par with the average small car ! He has ONE chance to get it right, and he KNOWS it. It may not be ready for Christmas next year but it will be READY and RIGHT when it rolls out. I too am concerned about the Money , lots of Money. Hope all goes well with that part, I am completely out of touch with "fund raising", not my thing :)
Not that I'm a huge fan of government, but if the safety and higher mpg regulating government didn't care do you think the auto industry would have self regulated autos to what they are today? I think goofyone made the comment that the highest safety rated cars of yesterday wouldn't meet todays standards. The auto industry would not have done that on it's own and the few that might have would be luxury brands that most of us couldn't afford. Also, we can thank our government for forcing safety regulated recalls on faulty vehicles.

I admire Paul Elio for his vision of making an affordable effiecient commuter for us average folks and taking the Elio motorcycle to an anticipated 5 star safety rating, but if he didn't he wouldn't be selling many enclosed cabin motorcycles. It's developing a product to meet and/or create market demand. He has to get it RIGHT out of the gate to be a successful company or he will only sell the 36,000 + reserved Elio's and there won't be much of a second year production run. My money thinks that he will be successful.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it's good that TE is asking these questions! We've been speculating, bashing ideas and each other and in general having a great time. TE asks a question and there's a pause before responses come. It's like there is an uncomfortable space of, "I'm not sure of what the answer is" or "I used to know that, hmm, let me think and I'll remember". It's good because it does cause us to stop and think about what we know as a verifiable fact and what we thought we knew but can't verify. On the other hand, there may well be things we don't have the answer to right at hand so a little research may be needed. If that should happen an "I don't know, but I'll find out" is a great answer!

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While Elio may not have it's own R&D Dept, it is paying for R&D. The IAV engine for example.
My question is. How many Elios will they have to sell to pay for the R&D of the engine?
Would it be one years production of ten years? and the first four prototypes, they were expensive.
How many years production to pay for that. All R&D will have to be paid for out of the units sold, but how many units!?

Top Bottom