• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Somewhat Tough Questions...

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday!

(...snipped...)
What does everyone think?

I believe before you asked most of these questions you really should have studied how vehicle development programs work as you would have the answers to most of your questions simply by gaining an understanding of these programs.

The Elio prototypes you have seen, P1-P4, are design study mules developing various aspects of the vehicle including chassis, suspension, interior design, and exterior design. This is a standard automotive industry way of developing a vehicle going hand in hand with the computerized engineering.

If you go online and read about the development process for the brand new 6th generation Mustang, which just went on sale this year, you would find a very similar process to the Elio. We all know the Mustang is a huge vehicle for Ford and Ford can invest a lot of money on these programs, but what many people don't realize is that engineering on this model began back in 2009 and various prototype mules were developed to test design concepts over the years however the final full specification prototype, on this much more complex vehicle, was not put together until only 13 months before production vehicles were rolling off the assembly line. Remember this is also a car that is not just more complex but also must meet way more government requirements and undergo much more extensive government certification than the Elio does as motorcycle.

For your remaining questions about when various steps will be completed you will have to ask EM. I do however warn you that thanks to the herd mentality of the internet, where many people are 'experts' in every type of engineering at once, EM tends not to share timeline and milestone information until after things have already been completed and verified. This is unfortunate as many of us really would like to know this information but as we have seen time and time again even on this forum even minor details, like what side the fuel filler is on, can become a major point of contention and debate on the internet.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Way off base? "stirring the pot"?- they are valid observations and questions, Some folks get very testy when a question is raised that just might "offend", the "true believers'! Texaselio, not only can enjoy the freedom of sharing his concerns, but doesn't need to have his "loyality" questioned. There have been many more comments from others, that have been specifically posted to crank up the site, I do NOT see this as one of them. You know I just posted a Q about the testing of the one engine and the risk I see in that,and we agreed to disagree, and here is another example of sound inquiry.
I'm sorry Z, I think you overreacted.
You may be right but have you noticed that he never comes back and responds to our posts? To me that says he is simply stirring the pot. Like you, I am entitled to my opinion as is he. :-) Z

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has TexasElio made any false statements? As far as I can see he has expressed his opinions based on his interpretation of the facts. Some people don't like to have their opinions distorted by facts. No reason to be overly sensitive about it. He makes a number of valid points however I believe Elios "shoestring" budget engineering model can explain much of it. What's the point of 12 to 18 months durability testing on components that have been used for years in other vehicles. Let Nissan, Honda, Ford or whoever do your component engineering.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another thought. Because the Elio is to be assembled from "off the shelf" components it will actually be overbuilt. When you consider the brake assemblies, transaxles, clutch assembly, half shafts, CV joints, suspension components, steering rack & pinion, and many other components are to come from cars that weigh at least twice as much with twice the power as the Elio it would be ludicrous to think they wouldn't be more durable and trouble free in the Elio even without months of testing.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What might be a fair return question is "What do You think TexasElio??" You clearly have an opinion and you did in not so many words in your first post claim to be an aficionado of the automotive manufacturing process. So, What do You think is a fair question since you have so much wisdom we all need to know. Please. And FYI, while it was just an opinion Z asking Why are you here Is a valid question. She did not ask it in a negative way and I am Certain many would like to know this question since he seems to know the answers to his questions. My answer, yes there are Many unanswered questions, many hurdles ahead for Elio, and there is even a chance this will all turn to smoke. For now though most of us here (defined as Future Elio Owners) have the hope and are inspired to believe in the company as well as the product we (and 37k others) have bet on. If (when) they pull this off I am Certain there will be just as many people questioning this company, its buyers, and the need for the product just like any other. Many have tried and failed but for many of us, this just seems like it has a chance and we are here to the end or the finish line. All your questions and Thousands more will be answered in due time. For now we can just sit back watch as it unfolds.

This will be the end of this for me, but not only did Z ask what he was doing here, she said very clearly that she was "getting a very specific picture emerging here and it's called stirring the pot", That said, I too hope it happens, and as I have frequently said, if it doesn't I see my "contribution" as an investment into our future. I wish us all good luck and hope that EM has all the bases covered

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another thought. Because the Elio is to be assembled from "off the shelf" components it will actually be overbuilt. When you consider the brake assemblies, transaxles, clutch assembly, half shafts, CV joints, suspension components, steering rack & pinion, and many other components are to come from cars that weigh at least twice as much with twice the power as the Elio it would be ludicrous to think they wouldn't be more durable and trouble free in the Elio even without months of testing.
Next thing ya know, one of you are gonna say Santa Claus is a hoax. Then I'm really gonna get pissed.
And I didn't even give him a grand.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is my first posting on this forum...

A bit about me...I'm a 30 year veteran of the auto industry...and a huge automobile enthusiast!

I'm involved in over a dozen different automotive forums...and I have a reputation for asking tough questions

based on information provided, Texas Elio is a veteran of the auto industry, who is an automobile enthusiast, and self states that he is a member of over a dozen different forums where he has developed a reputation for asking tough questions .... to me there is nothing wrong with that and I have no problem taking his comments at face value .... further, it seems appropriate to note that no experience is listed in the development of a vehicle classified as a motorcycle nor is any experience listed for working with small, private start-up companies .... I can understand how working with a mega corporation might lead one to believe that the resources needed, personnel needed, budget needed, etc are required to develop a new vehicle .... the questions asked are valid but most need to be directed toward EM officials who would have the info needed to answer them .... as a suggestion, if truly interested, take the time and trouble to attend an Elio Tour Event where such questions can be answered .... as an alternative, join EM's Facebook page where questions are routinely answered by corporate employees .... as to Zelio's point :

You may be right but have you noticed that he never comes back and responds to our posts? To me that says he is simply stirring the pot. Like you, I am entitled to my opinion as is he. :) Z

she also makes a valid point .... when a person professes pride in asking tough questions on forums and doesn't enter to subsequent exchanges of information, the probability is pretty high that they enjoy stirring the pot .... here again, there is nothing wrong with stirring the pot but it helps to do so by throwing out questions for which the respondents may have answers .... to me the questions asked to date reflect a lack of understanding about the way EM has chosen to bring its product to market .... further that not following the norm for large corporations is wrong .... time will tell if EM's product development process will prove to be effective or not

Jim

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure about his expertise.
I think this may be a goofy but valid way in his mind of gaining information about how EM is doing things.
And, as said, probably should (but isn't) trying to ask EM most of this.
MK

Top Bottom