• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Starting Today, You Can Drive Your Elio W/o Motorcycle Endorsement In Az

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So do you or don't you need the endorsement? I was under the impression the law on the Elio was the same as in WA.
WA was an early adopter for the "AutoCycle" and have it in the books, no endorsement or helmet or helmet with age restriction as in a few states.
I did double check it with the Evergreen Safety Console; they have some of most complete information for the NW.
Coss, I've edited the earlier post for clarity by adding the word endorsement after the MC for the license. Oregon was OK with enclosed motorcycles long before Elio (probably the Sparrow era, me thinks). So...technically not an autocycle state. Bottom line: Elio is clearly a motorcycle under Oregon law including registration. And... Enclosed motorcycle=no helmet and no MC endorsement needed.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
So where is the comprehensive list of helmet and endorsement laws required by state?
Somewhere on the Elio site or in the Blogs; I just did a quick browse and couldn't find it right off.
It has been included in the news letters and let me go hunting see if I can find it (TMI to sort through)

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1956 Elio....Hahahaha

I JUST GOT STARTED ON ANOTHER ONE .
A 1954 MESSERSCHMITT KR-175 !
THAT ASTRO-TURF HAS GOTTA' GO .

DSC_1516.JPG

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The challenge for me is to trust that all the right people have the right word...especially those in the field. This was abundantly clear to me in the Oregon DMV conversation of recent, both locally and w two people at DMV HQ. As a result, I just don't believe that showing a cop the Elio map will be a sure thing. So I need to know, chapter and verse, the specific statute, regulation, or interpretation. And for each state and province I plan to transit. I'm glad if other are OK w the maps and certainly glad for the work of Joel and his team at Elio and fellow owners lobbying their legislators.

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You should be able to go on line to Your State . gov and copy the pdf. That is what Tennessee has done. search autocycle.
Thanx for the tip. The confusing part is that many OK states have not implemented autocycle as a definition. Example is Oregon and there are other states that had Elio-OK laws pre-Elio. My prior job included statutory and regulatory research but I'm glad to hear from any with specifics on their states.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanx for the tip. The confusing part is that many OK states have not implemented autocycle as a definition. Example is Oregon and there are other states that had Elio-OK laws pre-Elio. My prior job included statutory and regulatory research but I'm glad to hear from any with specifics on their states.
I just went into WADOL, did a search on MC Endorsements and got this:

WADOT licenses.gif

I'm sure ODOT has something like it

Top Bottom