• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Stereo ?s

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am a bit of a stickler for a good sound system in my vehicles.
Is there any information on what type system they are going to use and speaker placement?
I have heard it will work with iPhones but not much else.
MK

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
None whatsoever. I asked once, and the response is that they were still developing their list of options. The system in the P4 however is one of the premium options and not the default, I did get a firm answer on that much.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think a great car stereo begins with a serious application of Dynamat and double or triple door seals. After you control the acoustic environment, THEN you can work on the sound system. Oddly enough, they don't have to be too expensive to sound really good in a proper setting - if you don't have to overcome a lot of exterior noise, you've won half the battle.

The other consideration is your hearing. I spent most of my working life around things that make a lot of noise, and that, with a bit of age, has given me a whole catalog of hearing issues. I used to laugh at the pilots who spent 20 years around jet engines, yet would be first in line to purchase high-dollar stereo gear overseas. With their hearing losses, they couldn't have told the difference between a great stereo and a telephone handset.

Before you go out and buy a high-spec system, invest in a hearing test to be sure you can appreciate the fine differences in equipment. I had a Mark Levinson system in my last Lexus and could tell very little difference between it and the standard unit. I coulda saved a pot of money. :(

My 2¢, that's all.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think a great car stereo begins with a serious application of Dynamat and double or triple door seals. After you control the acoustic environment, THEN you can work on the sound system. Oddly enough, they don't have to be too expensive to sound really good in a proper setting - if you don't have to overcome a lot of exterior noise, you've won half the battle.

The other consideration is your hearing. I spent most of my working life around things that make a lot of noise, and that, with a bit of age, has given me a whole catalog of hearing issues. I used to laugh at the pilots who spent 20 years around jet engines, yet would be first in line to purchase high-dollar stereo gear overseas. With their hearing losses, they couldn't have told the difference between a great stereo and a telephone handset.

Before you go out and buy a high-spec system, invest in a hearing test to be sure you can appreciate the fine differences in equipment. I had a Mark Levinson system in my last Lexus and could tell very little difference between it and the standard unit. I coulda saved a pot of money. :(

My 2¢, that's all.

That is a good point on hearing loss. My hobby is loud so I am sure I will lose some hearing over time. I am not much of audiophile so as long it works ok enough and i can link my phone to it im good.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Amen brothers! If you work in a noisy environment, or attend clubs or loud concerts, please consider wearing ear protection. Tinnitus costs you sleep, and keeps you from enjoying music like you used to. It also robs you of the ability to understand critlical parts of words. Consonants sound alike, and you can't differentiate between similar words (cat, rat, hat, bat are identical to me). My wife thinks my favorite word is "WHAT?"

It's not that I can't hear . . . My hearing's fine . . . Up to 7KHz where my ever-present squeal resides. My problem is often not being able to understand.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The other consideration is your hearing. I spent most of my working life around things that make a lot of noise, and that, with a bit of age, has given me a whole catalog of hearing issues..

Yup, me too.

My wife thinks my favorite word is "WHAT?" It's not that I can't hear . . . My hearing's fine . . . Up to 7KHz where my ever-present squeal resides. My problem is often not being able to understand.

That too.

I have been diagnosed with "mild" hearing loss and was lucky enough to try an expensive hearing aid tuned to my loss out in the real world for most of a day. It was a huge wake up call that things are not and will not be the same as they were when I was younger. With the aid I still had issues getting the jumble of noise to make sense when in places like loud restaurants and worse was now hearing more noises like buzzing fluorescent lighting that luckily I don't miss without the aids.

For me, a decent radio that doesn't sound like bad laptop speakers will be good enough. Heck, I often find that I actually prefer to drive most of the time with the radio off so that I can contemplate life or just enjoy the sound of the vehicle and the outdoors.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a result of my government paid "vacations" to Vietnam I also suffer from hearing losses and tinnitus. There are some sounds that I can no longer hear so I just need a functional radio and spending a lot of money for a high end stereo doesn't make sense for me. More important for me is a radio that will pick up a signal no matter where I am so I can have a choice of stations like jazz instead of just mariachi. Since Las Cruces is a long way from anywhere I need a constant radio program for the long trips and that means a satellite radio .

Last edited:
Top Bottom