• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Student Elio

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys im very new to the forum and had a question. do you think the $100 refundable reservation is smart for a college student? i right now am driving a car thats giving me terrible trouble and im looking at the elio for my salvation. id jump from 20 to 84mpg and it would only double my gas bill. insurance is still questionable as many of you dont know either but right now im paying 100 which is wat im expecting from my elio aswell.

what im worried about most is when i will receive the car. things like shipping, maintenance and cost i can handle later but if it doesnt come in sometime this summer im screwed. so do you think i should resevere?

also does the amount of my reservation not go into my elio payments? if so then why is there a $1000 refundable option anyway
Welcome from THE Evergreen State.
The advise from our friends here is solid. Myself, and some others here are ex bikers looking for a replacement of our bikes as we keep replacing knees and hips(read want not need the E) Lots of good stuff here besides financial advise, and as you stay around many of your concerns and questions have and will be addressed. Aside from myself, there are many experts in fields of production, design, financials, and folks who can take apart a car and put it back together WITHOUT any parts left over!!
Enjoy, and best of luck in school!

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Russell, I am in the same boat as you about a "clunker"...mine runs well but the miles are piling up in a hurry. that photo that was this past November, im already up 8,000 plus miles in two and a half months.

You tube is your friend...and truthfully cars produced past say 2004 are MUCH easier to work on. They have condensed a lot of the electronics and the mechanical parts aren't nearly as complicated as they used to be.

And oh yes... Welcome to the Forum :).

L0gic

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If you really can't spare the $100 for a REFUNDABLE reservation, skip it.... I'm not so old to forget that we typically choose to afford what we want most in a moment: girls/soda/fast food/coffee etc.

Get yourself a refundable reservation and show meaningful interest from your age group. Post about it on Facebook and encourage your friends to do the same...

Save any other disposable income for your purchase and do the gas card thing if you need to and without shame. Get a lot loan or purchase for cash if you can.

I'll use my credit card and pay in full when the bill comes... While it would be fun to pay in cash, I'll take the points on my card...

And because anyone going to college can't hear this enough... Ignore all credit card offers.... Don't apply for the free t-shirt or bear for your girl.... The hottie with the clipboard does not really want your number and won't call you.... Just keep moving... Need a card? Do your research and apply directly for the best card for you.

Hope your college plans are on track. What did you end up doing about your car?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you really can't spare the $100 for a REFUNDABLE reservation, skip it.... I'm not so old to forget that we typically choose to afford what we want most in a moment: girls/soda/fast food/coffee etc.

Get yourself a refundable reservation and show meaningful interest from your age group. Post about it on Facebook and encourage your friends to do the same...

Save any other disposable income for your purchase and do the gas card thing if you need to and without shame. Get a lot loan or purchase for cash if you can.

I'll use my credit card and pay in full when the bill comes... While it would be fun to pay in cash, I'll take the points on my card...

And because anyone going to college can't hear this enough... Ignore all credit card offers.... Don't apply for the free t-shirt or bear for your girl.... The hottie with the clipboard does not really want your number and won't call you.... Just keep moving... Need a card? Do your research and apply directly for the best card for you.

Hope your college plans are on track. What did you end up doing about your car?
That approach is too LOgical. :)

Top Bottom