• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Survey Said.....

how many options were offered by the survey to determine how much you would pay for A T

Votes: 10 34.5%

Votes: 1 3.4%

Votes: 17 58.6%

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

JK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So far you're the only one that has received space to write comments.
Mine was: 1) What do you drive now 2) if it was $1,500, what would you pick 3) if it was $1,200 what would you pick and last 4) if it was $1,000 what would you pick nothing more after that, no choice for "other" it was either Auto or Manual.
I got the space for comment too. After answering 1. Do I currently drive an auto - yes. 2. would I pay 1500 - no. 3. would I pay 1200 - no. 4. would I pay 1000 - no. 5 Why? It had like four choices .. I can't remember the exact wording. None of the four really fit for me so the last option was "Other" and had a space to explain. I put "If I have to pay $1000+ for auto then I will just go with the manual." I wish I had put that I might pay extra for a CVT but not an AMT.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How many different survey's did they put out?
I don't think there are anywhere near as many different surveys as are being implied. In fact I'd bet there was only one. It's just that the answers you give take you down different paths. If you said "Yes, I'll pay $1,500 for an automatic", then it would be stupid of them to ask if you'd pay $1,200 for it. You'd be willing to pay $1,500, and that's all they need to know. Of course you'd be willing to pay less. If they said it only cost $10, there'd be people who'd complain that it wasn't $5.

I was able to leave a comment. It appears to have only been offered if you said No Thanks to all three prices. Then they want to now why you wouldn't pay for the automatic. If you're willing to pay any of the offered prices, then there's no need for a comment field.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mine was: 1) What do you drive now 2) if it was $1,500, what would you pick 3) if it was $1,200 what would you pick and last 4) if it was $1,000 what would you pick nothing more after that, no choice for "other" it was either Auto or Manual.

My memory may need to be revised. I did have a block to write comments in. I can't be sure about the "other" selection. I can't be sure about how I got to the "Comments" block.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My memory may need to be revised. I did have a block to write comments in. I can't be sure about the "other" selection. I can't be sure about how I got to the "Comments" block.

My interpretation of our survey is that 33% of the respondents answered yes to the first question and did not see other options.. This would indicate that 33% of us would pay $1500. 59% answered yes to $1000 and did not see the "Why" menu. So, 92% would pay $1000 but only 38% would pay $1200. I would bet that the optimum price is near $1100 to maximize the auto tranny sales. !5% of $1100 on one half of all sales would be $165 additional profit per car. Let's have some more market research.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Check your spam / junk folders.
Plus, are you a $1K All In?

Yup. Full $1000 in around the 4500 mark.
Nothing in the spam folders.
*shrugs*

Edit:
I even checked my Elio account and confirmed my email address.

(although i HAVE been rather vocal of my transmission preferences):oops:

Last edited:

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Proud, the cost of the automatic option is already based on the difference in cost between the manual and automatic. A rough ballpark estimate for the manual is probably something like $1700 and the automatic is maybe $2500 ($800 difference in cost and carrying the same ~15% profit, gives $950-$1000 for the delta option cost). The reason you can pay less than that to replace a transmission when it breaks is because you're trading in the value of the existing transmission or it's a used/refurbished unit.

If they go for a more complicated automatic (dual clutch AMT or CVT) that cost delta will almost certainly increase relative to the originally proposed single clutch AMT.

Thanks, slinches, I get the idea now....

My first plan was to get a Elio with a Manual, drive off the lot and come right back and get the $1,200 Automatic put in as a upgrade and then sell the "used" Manual on e-bay, to recover some of the cost of the Automatic...

So I guess that plan doesn't work... with the Transmission exchange deal going on.... But...

I did write Elio Motors about this survey and their reply was... they were not looking at the cost of the Transmissions. because that price is not set yet for them... the survey was about... what percentage of people wanted a Automatic over a Manual Transmission... so they can go to the transmission suppliers and get the best price for both.... they also stated that there were different survey's, sent out to different areas of the "soon" to be Elio Nation...

I guess I just found their wording odd... why not just ask... Automatic or Manual? why ask the different money values, if they only just wanted to know which Transmission you wanted... odd...

Thanks for the feed back...

Proud to Be member #2225Z of the Elio Nation... see ya on the road..

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, slinches, I get the idea now....

My first plan was to get a Elio with a Manual, drive off the lot and come right back and get the $1,200 Automatic put in as a upgrade and then sell the "used" Manual on e-bay, to recover some of the cost of the Automatic...

So I guess that plan doesn't work... with the Transmission exchange deal going on.... But...

I did write Elio Motors about this survey and their reply was... they were not looking at the cost of the Transmissions. because that price is not set yet for them... the survey was about... what percentage of people wanted a Automatic over a Manual Transmission... so they can go to the transmission suppliers and get the best price for both.... they also stated that there were different survey's, sent out to different areas of the "soon" to be Elio Nation...

I guess I just found their wording odd... why not just ask... Automatic or Manual? why ask the different money values, if they only just wanted to know which Transmission you wanted... odd...

Thanks for the feed back...

Proud to Be member #2225Z of the Elio Nation... see ya on the road..
That is a strange way to ask, and it sure upset a number of people.
Who ever came up with that survey didn't make any of that clear at all.

No doubt the EM is getting a ton of emails asking about that survey.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Take all those prices with a grain of salt, none of them are final including the options themselves. The configurator we see now will likely be very different from the one that people actually will be using to order.
Msmith5150 you offer the best view on the configurator out of anyone else on this board; Thank you; more people need to remember your view of it.

Top Bottom