• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tandem Now But Side By Side Later?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Force of wind exerted on a surface varies as the square of the velocity. This gets too complicated for me, but you can learn about it here: http://hpwizard.com/index.html

As a sailor, I know that a 12 mph breeze is wonderful sailing, but a 24 mph breeze is 4 times rougher, not twice as brisk. When you double the speed, you quadruple the force acting against you.

This is grossly simplified, but it's why at highway speeds aerodynamics are vital, more important than rolling resistance (tire friction) and all the other stuff. Sailors reduce the amount of sail area in order to stay upright and in control. Elio's reduce the square footage of the car to do the same thing.

At slow speeds, aerodynamic are unimportant, and if you want efficiency, you go for light weight. But over about 45 miles per hour aerodynamic drag is the villain, and as Paul says, half the width is have the wind resistance working against you.

So your side by side Elio is NEVER going to get good gas mileage at highway speeds, while your tandem is 80 mpg plus.

Hope this helps answer THAT question.
Although I'm not interested in a side by side configuration, it could be that your tandem is 80 mpg plus, while your side by side is 350 MPGe.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We're super interested in the idea--makes us think of our Crosleys in that the cars are affordable and with no nonsense inside BUT the tandem set up is what has held us up for further consideration. Will your company be thinking of different seating in the future and possibly when?

Good afternoon "nanookune," and WELCOME to our Elio Family forum the Bayou State & the future birth place of the Elio, Louisiana. Hope you find all the answers you need here and that you will soon get in line with us to pick up your new Elio!

Top Bottom