• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tesla Rules Reversed- Will Now Be Able To Sell Innew Jersey!!

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
New Jersey Finally Lifts Ban On Tesla Sales
The Huffington Post | By Alexander C. Kaufman
Posted: 03/18/2015 5:04 pm EDT Updated: 03/18/2015 5:59 pm EDT
n-TESLA-NEW-JERSEY-large570.jpg

• gplus-16.png

New Jersey gave Tesla Motors the green light on Wednesday to start selling its cars again.

Gov. Chris Christie signed a bill allowing the Palo Alto-based electric carmaker to open four dealerships in the state, which last year banned the company from selling its cars directly to consumers.

“I said last year that if the Legislature changed the law, I would sign new legislation put on my desk and that is exactly what I’m doing today,” Christie said in a statement. “We’re pleased that manufacturers like Tesla will now have the opportunity to establish direct sales operations for consumers in a manner lawfully in New Jersey.”

Tesla did not respond to a request for comment, but posted a tweet recognizing the new law.

Unlike other car companies, Tesla sells its cars directly to buyers and does not use franchised dealerships. This has prompted a state-by-state fight with dealership associations, which have lobbied states to enforce laws that prevent car manufacturers from selling directly to customers. As a result, Tesla is barred from selling its Model S sedan -- for now, its sole offering -- in Texas, Arizona, Michigan and Maryland, all states where it previously operated before the bans were in place.

o-TESLA-NEW-JERSEY-570.jpg

This map shows every current Tesla store throughout North America.

New Jersey’s new law allows any automaker that only produces zero-emissions vehicles to operate no more than four dealerships in the state. A similar agreement in New York last year limited Tesla to five dealerships there.

If the company is successful in expanding its business, as it plans to do, the cap on the number of stores in these two states could become a problem.

Earlier this year, CEO Elon Musk vowed to aggressively spend money over the next few years to grow the company. The Model X, its highly anticipated sports utility vehicle, is due out later this year after several delays. Tesla plans to unveil the Model 3 -- which, tentatively priced at $35,000, would be its most affordable vehicle yet -- sometime next year. The company is building a $5 billion “gigafactory” in Nevada to mass-produce the lithium-ion batteries that power its cars.

“This issue is not solved, it’s delayed,” Karl Brauer, senior analyst at the automotive research firm Kelley Blue Book, told The Huffington Post of New Jersey's new law. “They’ve basically delayed the longer-term, larger issue.”

Still, it’s progress.

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a resident of WV, I sure don't think its right for them to protect the dealers. I don't have the money for a Tesla, but should be able to buy one direct if I wanted too.

On the bright side, I don't think they would get many sales here anyway to be honest. WV is always on the bottom of the list for wealthy people and high income when they compare states.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a resident of WV, I sure don't think its right for them to protect the dealers. I don't have the money for a Tesla, but should be able to buy one direct if I wanted too.

On the bright side, I don't think they would get many sales here anyway to be honest. WV is always on the bottom of the list for wealthy people and high income when they compare states.
Tesla's 2017 Model III will be a more affordable to the masses option, I believe in about the $35K range, which isn't bad for a Tesla engineered, quality built EV with some decent range. Sweet styling.
image.jpg

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla's 2017 Model III will be a more affordable to the masses option, I believe in about the $35K range, which isn't bad for a Tesla engineered, quality built EV with some decent range. Sweet styling.
View attachment 5316
I saw that- they're in the process of building a new plant in Nevada (California wasn't offering any incentives) to build batteries. When they get the milage up, cheaper and more powerful motors, they will become the world leader in EV.
He has also offering his patents for free on stuff he's developed.
With a 200 mile range, I'd still worry about running out of juice.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw that- they're in the process of building a new plant in Nevada (California wasn't offering any incentives) to build batteries. When they get the milage up, cheaper and more powerful motors, they will become the world leader in EV.
He has also offering his patents for free on stuff he's developed.
With a 200 mile range, I'd still worry about running out of juice.
I'd pull the trigger on a $35K Model III with a 200 mile range and Tesla's new network of free quick charge stations being built across the country. They just finished one in Couer d'Alene, ID a few weeks ago and it's ready to charge. I would use the EV more for local driving which fits my needs perfectly.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 5316

Looks OK, but I still can't carry a sheet of 4x8 plywood in it and Lowes or Home Depot won't deliver where I live.

Top Bottom