• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

That New Car Smell

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought it was the various adhesives used during the manufacturing process. ;)

with campers the formaldehyde smell comes mostly from the glue used in making the particle board/structure board .... without knowing what type glue they will use to glue the body panels to the frame, I'd tend to believe that won't be an issue .... the leather seats option and plastic used could certainly contribute

Jim

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One reason I am choosing to pick mine up and haul it back home. I am allergic to many artifical smells. Formaldehyde is one that causes strong reactions.
If the weather is not rainy, I will have the windows cracked open so it will vent on the way home.
Don't forget to order the rear window swing-out option

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't know if it still applies to modern cars, but several years ago vinyl dashboards in a new car would outgas sufficient quantities of benzene as to make the car's cabin an OSHA "hazardous workplace" for the first two or three years on the road. Particularly in European cars left in the hot sun for a few hours a day, their vinyl interior would "evaporate" so many chemicals that the windows would slowly collect a white film, requiring the interior of the windows to be cleaned every two or three months. :eek:

Top Bottom