• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The E-series Build.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looking at the frames I was wondering if tubular steel for the cage was more complicated to use but would it have been stronger? This frame looks very complicated (expensive) and detailed. I assume this is the same frame used in the P5?

Stamped steel allows for more complex shapes, while also being cheaper to manufacture since it is just a "mold" pressing out a ton of shaped pieces every minute :) The square steel frame used for the P5 was cheaper from a prototyping perspective, but this type will be cheaper to mass produce because it is far less time-intensive.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Stamped steel allows for more complex shapes, while also being cheaper to manufacture since it is just a "mold" pressing out a ton of shaped pieces every minute :) The square steel frame used for the P5 was cheaper from a prototyping perspective, but this type will be cheaper to mass produce because it is far less time-intensive.
Very true; plus the box channel is lighter and just as strong as the tubular frame they had.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looking at the frames I was wondering if tubular steel for the cage was more complicated to use but would it have been stronger? This frame looks very complicated (expensive) and detailed. I assume this is the same frame used in the P5?
Nope.

It'll be far cheaper, lighter, quicker and just as strong, if not stronger.

It's not the same frame (parts) used in the P5.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The magical part of this is that all those parts were obviously stamped.
Which means that they have existing dies (and the specs for quickly making additional ones) for the presses.
Unless there are modifications to those parts, EM won't have to spend time engineering the dies.
IMO, a major step DONE! :D

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tell me about it; but I never used Loctite on my 42 45"; always Nylock nuts on everything, and you never reuse them unless it's an emergency repair.
And that's part of the trick with Nylocks; most people keep trying to use them over an over; after the second or at most 3rd time they don't lock any longer.
Not quite. FAA AC43.13-1B states; "Do not reuse a Fiber or nylon locknut unless it meets the minimum prevailing torque value listed in table 7-2."
Generally these nuts will meet these specs and can be reused several times. The typical rule of thumb used by the aircraft industry is, "Do not reuse the nut if it can be put on by hand."

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since the body panels are glued to the roll-cage frame, I assume a body panel would be replaced by cutting out the old one and grinding the adhesive surfaces smooth (getting the old adhesive off). Then glue would be applied to the frame and the new body panel pressed against it until the adhesive sets up.

If this is the basic process, does this mean we can do our own body work as long as the frame is not bent? Buy the panels at Pep-Boys and change them?

It looks this way.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if this is how they've made the panels, but the smart way to go would be...
have little "spearhead" shaped nubs molded into the body...
That pop through the holes in the metal body tabs with moderate force...
And they themselves keep the body pressed against the metal tabs etc. while the glue cures.

Or, better yet, the nubs could be shaped so that spring clips would draw the panels tight...
Similar to the hood pin set up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom