1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

The Elio Engine

Discussion in 'Elio Drivetrain' started by ls10, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Johnny Acree

Johnny Acree Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    4287 & 22039
    It was not on the previous detail page, but is on the currant page.

Dang! y'all type fast.

2. Donnyboy

Donnyboy Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    If it wasn't on the previous detail page then maybe they got some final results from the engine tests. I'm probably just reading too much into this.... I always get excited about Elio.

Of all the classes I took in high school there was only 1 that helps me to this day: Typewriting. Best skill I learned in high school.

gottemfeathers and Johnny Acree like this.
  3. Made in USA

Made in USA Elio Addict

I wonder what sort of engine analyzers will be needed to troubleshoot? Hopefully it would be an option for the Infinite Skye's display or even a cell phone app. I'm a little concerned with the long term quality of the engine too. Based on what Elio has said so far, it should be a very reliable vehicle. But, the warranty is only 36,000 miles or two years. That doesn't sound like much confidence in their engineering. Hopefully they will increase these numbers before production starts and they have some on-the-road evaluations.

4. airforceguy6

airforceguy6 Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    L14,338
    Elio Motors has the same warranty period as most auto manufacturers (Ford, Chevy, etc) have, 36,000 or three years (not two years) Source: https://www.eliomotors.com/features/

As for the Infinite Sky system, I will be replacing the radio after I receive my Elio. I will most likely put in a head unit system that has Android compatibility to work with my phone and additional apps. Much cheaper option compared.

Grumpy Cat likes this.
  5. Johnny Acree

Johnny Acree Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    4287 & 22039
    Please remember, "Warranty" has nothing to do with the quality of what ever is being "Warranted"
    It is simply an insurance policy. A 100K warranty will cost more than a 36K warranty.
    I believe EM chose 36K because that seems to be the industry norm.
    If you want a 100K warranty, there are several companies that will be glad to sell you one.
    On engine analyzers, I believe, it will most likely, be OBDII compliant, but read only.

Grumpy Cat likes this.
  6. johnsnownw

johnsnownw Elio Addict

That's the basic warranty. GM and Ford have a 5yr/100k miles and 5yr/60k miles warranty, respectively, on the powertrain.

7. floydv

floydv Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  8. Coss

Coss Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It's not a first for a rotary engine, but it is a first to combine an electric motor and the rotary.
    They rotaries are terrible on gas mileage, but my goodness are they quick; I had two of the RE5's and they were scary.
    You learned never to lean them over too far if you wanted to keep tires on the road.

W. WIllie and floydv like this.